Rubber covers for H&B bucket legs

soseggnchips

Rubber covers for H&B bucket legs

Post by soseggnchips »

The title says it all really... does anyone know if the rubber covers that go over the legs on H&B bucket mutes are available separately?
baileyman

Re: Rubber covers for H&B bucket legs

Post by baileyman »

Shrink tubing may be a good replacement.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You could probably get away with 1/4 inch (6 mm) rubber tube, but I would go for the shrink tubing Baileyman suggests.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

You might also try Plasti Dip.
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

Thanks everybody. Heat shrink is a great suggestion, which somehow hadn't occurred to me despite having several lifetimes' supply in the cupboard!
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

For my $$$ the best solution is to get a EZ Bucket Mute and throw that H & B Mute out
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

dukesboneman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:03 pm For my $$$ the best solution is to get a EZ Bucket Mute and throw that H & B Mute out
He has a point.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
eatanick

Post by eatanick »

I had my tech modify a Humes and Berg to attach like an Eazy Bucket after my EZB had a clip snap. The Eazy Buckets are fantastic, but I missed the last 10% of the H&B sound, so for me this is best of both worlds!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

+1 for EZ bucket. I got bass and small tenor sizes. Inexpensive and easy on/off.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

I use the Softone mute. Hung on the top of the bell it sounds just like a bucket mute.
Easy on - easy off, folds up small in the mute bag and can also be used as a practice mute when full covering the bell. My big band bone section uses them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Softones work even better if you put a pair of socks in it to help keep it from hanging too flat on the bell.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:45 pm Softones work even better if you put a pair of socks in it to help keep it from hanging too flat on the bell.
Preferably fresh out of the washing machine, not just pulled off your feet! :roll:
tim

Post by tim »

+1 on the softone, and the sound engineer likes them cuz they don't make4 noise when you drop 'em. :good: :shuffle:
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Well sometimes I use a shoe for a plunger, and that did come off my foot.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

dukesboneman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:03 pm For my $$$ the best solution is to get a EZ Bucket Mute and throw that H & B Mute out
Hard to argue with that. They sound fine, but it's shocking how much they charge for such flimsy pieces of rubbish. The one I need the rubbers for is a very tatty example I just got from eBay for 99p, which is probably about what it's worth.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

soseggnchips wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:08 am
Hard to argue with that. They sound fine, but it's shocking how much they charge for such flimsy pieces of rubbish. The one I need the rubbers for is a very tatty example I just got from eBay for 99p, which is probably about what it's worth.
I have two different Eazy Bucket mutes (different bell sizes), and find them to be very sturdy, sound great, easy on and off. Not at all flimsy. (I understand some of the early samples were not as robust, but they were redesigned and are now pretty indestructible.) But the prices have increased since I bought mine a few years ago.
https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... h-bell.php

True confession: I now usually use my Softone neoprene mutes, since they're so light and compact, and sound fine. (Depends on what the rest of the trombone section is using.) Also a bit pricey.
https://www.dillonmusic.com/softone-neoprene-mute/

Very few trombonists around here still use the clunky, awkward, bell-damaging H&B bucket mutes.
soseggnchips

Post by soseggnchips »

Just to be clear, it's the H&B I'm calling a flimsy piece of junk. Never tried an Eazy (although they certainly look good).
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

I’ve encountered big band trombone parts where H&B stone lined bucket was specifically called for. Of course, not everyone in the section had one.

I love bucket mutes…I own several different kinds.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Wingy Malone story concerning mutes from Bill Crow's "Jazz Anecdotes", p 32.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

While I find it more or less useless as practice mute, I really like the Softone as bucket replacement. It's easy to use, light on the trombone and practically no room to carry.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

MStarke wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:46 am While I find it more or less useless as practice mute, I really like the Softone as bucket replacement.
The Softone is rather expensive, but it does need to be made and sized the way it is if you're going to do the fully fitted and inflated "practice mute" thing. If you're not, and you just want the proxy bucket effect, then there's no need to spend nearly that much.

The hung-on beret costs zilch and works well, ideally with some added padding from the strategic underwear reserve... partially for sound absorbing, more - as Doug suggests above - because the distance and asymmetry stops the intonation getting too weird.

And/but nothing sounds exactly like a H&B... not that it necessarily matters.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Totally agreed! (Apart from my experience that also correctly used/fully inflated it still sucks as a practice mute for me. Any other is better for me, even the very small best brass mutes)
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"

Return to “Accessories”