Best downloads for learning jazz?

How and what to teach and learn.
tbdana

Best downloads for learning jazz?

Post by tbdana »

Hi. Can you give me the best option you know of for downloading charts and audio files to learn to improvise jazz? It's been, like, 35 years since I went through that process and at the time there was nothing online. About the only thing available was Music Minus One or Abersol and you had to order a CD and a physical book. And even then there wasn't much available for trombone.

So, if one were to want to learn jazz on the trombone today, what's the best online source for standards, with bass clef parts and download or streaming accompaniment?

Thanks! :)
Bach5G

Re: Best downloads for learning jazz?

Post by Bach5G »

IReal Pro?
ALT

Post by ALT »

Band-in-a-box is also great, but not on your phone.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

There aren’t really a lot of options for play along AND the actual melodies. Aebersolds are really still kind of the gold standard. Hal Leonard has a USB they sell to accompany their real books, but it isn’t 100% of the tunes and they aren’t very long, although they are good recordings.

Generally speaking, real book 1 and irealpro will go a long way. But it’s very obviously generated midi rather than a live, recorded accompaniment. But it lets you switch the key up, tempos, isolate spots, etc. When you download the app, you have to go to their forum a to download the tunes, but it only takes 2-3 minutes and then you have like 1400 chord sheets. It doesn’t do nelodies though, only chords.
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:34 pmIReal Pro?
Plus 1
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
Pepperodin

Post by Pepperodin »

I recommend improvise for real and a good jazz trombone teacher who will focus your study. Learning basic skills that are the foundation for playing jazz is essential in my view. The teacher will assess existing skills and then assign new studies. After years of practicing and playing classical music, I am learning jazz. My teacher is the centerpiece.
Pepperodin

Post by Pepperodin »

Matt K wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:25 pm There aren’t really a lot of options for play along AND the actual melodies. Aebersolds are really still kind of the gold standard. Hal Leonard has a USB they sell to accompany their real books, but it isn’t 100% of the tunes and they aren’t very long, although they are good recordings.

Generally speaking, real book 1 and irealpro will go a long way. But it’s very obviously generated midi rather than a live, recorded accompaniment. But it lets you switch the key up, tempos, isolate spots, etc. When you download the app, you have to go to their forum a to download the tunes, but it only takes 2-3 minutes and then you have like 1400 chord sheets. It doesn’t do nelodies though, only chords.
Consider Jim Snidero's books. There are two recordings of each jazz chart; one is played by Slide Hampton himself! Whoa! The second recording is the rhythm section alone. This is where you solo! Listening is essential to learning any genre of music. Snidero's books capitalize on this idea. Listen first, play with the master second, and finally, solo. But remember, go back to Slide Hampton. You will hear many subtle expressions that make jazz great.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That’s true although they are contra facts rather than the actual standard. I was thinking OP was looking to learn standards. They would at least have a dozen or so changes to improvise over though.
reznet

Post by reznet »

There's a new app called moises which does a really good job of separating songs into tracks. You could try taking a jazz recording and muting the lead instrument and then play along yourself. Can't get any closer than the real thing!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”