Bach Confusion

RickS

Bach Confusion

Post by RickS »

I can't seem to find a large shank (or any) Bach 5 mouthpiece.....it's a 5 without any addional letters! Does anyone know where I can find one.....or equivalent, I guess? The one I have is a small shank Mt Vernon that was made back in 1965! Both the 5G and 5GS still feel too large for me.
BGuttman

Re: Bach Confusion

Post by BGuttman »

I would suggest trying the following:

Denis Wick 5AL
Schilke 51D

Still, since you already have a Doug Elliott system (from the other thread) I'd suggest just changing the DE rim.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I don't think Bach makes large shank 5s. There were large shank 3s in the early days.

the 5AL and 51D will be way, way deeper and feel too big just like the 5G and 5GS.

What's the horn?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
RickS

Post by RickS »

I have a Shires .525 slide and also a .547 but the issue is with the .525 slide.....I have both small shank and large shank lead pipes.....so i guess the old straight 5 isn't made anymore, right?
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

Unlettered Bachs are made, just not in large numbers, large shank versions are rare as hens teeth. A 5GS large shank with the smaller backbore would be as close as you get in large shank from Bach. I would look for a used one to try out. New Bach 5GS's are running around 85.00.

Good luck

Benn
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

RickS wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:52 am I have a Shires .525 slide and also a .547 but the issue is with the .525 slide.....I have both small shank and large shank lead pipes.....so i guess the old straight 5 isn't made anymore, right?
In small shank, yes. I have one if you want it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I wrote in your other thread with a few suggestions, but another that springs to mind is a large shank Faxx 5g, it’s a good old Bach copy and definitely on the smaller side, feels smaller than most 5Gs.
pjanda1

Post by pjanda1 »

Schilke 51b (especially) or 51c4. Hammond 12m, maybe 13m (if the 51 and 12 cup diameter is too wide). Doug Elliott. I suspect Marcinkiewicz and Yamaha may have options. Brass Ark would be worth asking, but Reeves pieces are pricier. Or just have James New copy the 5 and stick it on a large shank--crazily, less expensive than many other options!

Paul
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Wedge do many mouthpieces around that size.

I have a 1.5G & 3G large shank & 5G & 100AL small shank.

The 100 feels between a 6.5 & 5, and comes in C,AL, GS & G cups. I use it for 1st on my .500 & .525 horns.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Doug Elliott will be able to help
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Probably want to have the inner diameter of the rim measured. I suspect that your 5 is probably on the small side rim wise. It could be slightly shallower than a 5GS too. Thing about mouthpieces of that era is that they're all kind of one-offs to some degree. If you go by specs "on paper", you'll basically be throwing darts.

Realistically, production times are really slow with anything Conn-Selmer at the moment. Someone here... well, not so recently actually, made an order on something "custom" from Bach that really wasn't that far off the beaten path and eventually cancelled the order after waiting something like 4 years.

If you are going to take a stab, Doug is a really good resource on the forum here. I suspect it's probably close to an LT101, E, E8 is what you're after in his language. Greg Black probably has something "off the shelf" too. Probably close to a 5C.

Adapters from small shank to large shank get a bad rap for a good reason, but you may want to explore that option regardless.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

A sidetrack: “Realistically, production times are really slow with anything Conn-Selmer at the moment.”

Are things improving at all?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Worse if anything. I waited almost a year on some student/intermediate parts.
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

I play a Shires .525 and for me the small shank leadpipes work much better with the horn.

Return to “Mouthpieces”