Seeking bass trombone mouthpiece advice

jimbersneutrombone

Seeking bass trombone mouthpiece advice

Post by jimbersneutrombone »

I’m looking for a mouthpiece with a similar rim to the Doug Yeo Yamaha model, just with a shallower cup. Currently playing the DY Yamaha with a Doug Elliot XB113 rim. Don’t have any other DE components, but open to trying stuff out if anyone has suggestions for specific cup sizes. Past teachers and some friends have mentioned Laskey 90 and Schilke Symphony series pieces, and I’m wondering how these compare to my current gear. Open to suggestions of other makes and models!

Currently living in Australia where it is a bit harder to find mouthpieces other than Bach and Denis Wick - I’m anticipating having to order something from the US. I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have. I like the rim size and the heavy weight of my current piece, but I have a feeling the depth of the cup might be limiting my range of articulation.

Many thanks in advance!
Jimbers
Burgerbob

Re: Seeking bass trombone mouthpiece advice

Post by Burgerbob »

Markey 87.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

113 is the right size, but you'd probably want the LB series and there are lots of cup depths to choose from.
In the XB series I make a K cup which is just a little shallower than the Yeo.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
jimbersneutrombone

Post by jimbersneutrombone »

Much appreciated!! Will look into those suggestions
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Go with Dougs suggestion and order it - he did the same for me several years ago and I've never needed to change... Doug
Boneuphtoner

Post by Boneuphtoner »

The Yeo has been my standard bass piece (I historically only play bass on occasion), and on a trip to Dillons recently I tried the Markey 87 and 90. As someone who is used to the Yeo/113 rim, the Markey 90 felt very similar in rim size, and it had a slightly shallower cup compared to the Yeo. The rim size of the 90 felt comparable, but I did notice a difference in feel as the rim profiles were different. The 87 felt smaller on the face in comparison. Apparently the Griego Markey series all have the same cup depths.
76doublebass

Post by 76doublebass »

I use Doug Elliott LB W 110 on my modified King Duo Gravis
and gives me great control and power in the low end but
struggles a bit when occasionally reaching for a high Bb
which you almost never see on bass trombone anyway.
I also use a Bach 1 an a half GM with a really deep cup
which can project power easily and may extend top range
better.
gbedinger

Post by gbedinger »

At an ETW a few years ago I went through a litany of mouthpiece sizes with Doug where I went from smaller to larger mouthpieces in terms of size, and locked in at an LBL 113 and have been playing that ever since. I should also say that a Monette BT-1S feels just as comfortable, although it went better with the Yamaha 822 I had. Some instruments play better with more mass in the mouthpiece (I play a Bach 50 Corp now). I recently acquired a Bach 1 1/4 but don’t have much face time on it and it feels pretty close too. Best of luck!

Return to “Mouthpieces”