Jazz trombone instructor near me?

How and what to teach and learn.
Trhtrbn

Jazz trombone instructor near me?

Post by Trhtrbn »

I have been taking online lessons and as I am 62 years old I dislike doing the lessons online or on YouTube, old fashioned I guess, lol. Does anyone know of a local trombone instructor that is more focused on jazz improvising that I could actually take lessons from in person? In the Riverside California area?
Thom H
King 4B bone, Denis Wick 5AL Mouthpiece.
Yamaha YSL-3530R bone, Bach 5G small shank mouthpiece.
tbdana

Re: Jazz trombone instructor near me?

Post by tbdana »

Wow, Riverside is kind of a jazz trombone desert. Are you willing to drive to the L.A. or O.C. areas? You'd have a pretty big selection, including some greats. Also, if learning jazz improvising is your purpose, you might consider taking lessons from a non-trombone player. Back in the day I studied jazz in L.A. from Charlie Schumake, a vibraphone player, and the lessons were incredible. You don't need a trombone player to teach you jazz.

You might try emailing Andy Martin or Bob McChesney to see if they can take you on or point you in the right direction.
Trhtrbn

Post by Trhtrbn »

tbdana wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:27 am Wow, Riverside is kind of a jazz trombone desert. Are you willing to drive to the L.A. or O.C. areas? You'd have a pretty big selection, including some greats. Also, if learning jazz improvising is your purpose, you might consider taking lessons from a non-trombone player. Back in the day I studied jazz in L.A. from Charlie Schumake, a vibraphone player, and the lessons were incredible. You don't need a trombone player to teach you jazz.

You might try emailing Andy Martin or Bob McChesney to see if they can take you on or point you in the right direction.
Thank you. I am just starting back after over 10 years of not playing due to getting dentures and making the erroneous assumption that I could not play anymore. So I need to work on fundamentals and restoring my chops as well. I found a guy named Nick Zavala for the fundamentals and I will see how it works out. I have worked with a trumpet player named Jeff Lewis in the past and I find his website and tutorials on jazz very much helpful. Thanks again.
Thom H
King 4B bone, Denis Wick 5AL Mouthpiece.
Yamaha YSL-3530R bone, Bach 5G small shank mouthpiece.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

For the fundamentals as I said on another of your posts, have a lesson or three with Doug.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”