Edwards Harmonic Bridge thread size?

harrisonreed

Edwards Harmonic Bridge thread size?

Post by harrisonreed »

Anyone know what the thread is on the harmonic bridge? I want to try a few different metals in the thing.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Edwards Harmonic Bridge thread size?

Post by Matt K »

I can check in the morning. I picked some up for the opposite reason. Was thinking of getting brass nuts to solder onto a non edwards so I bought some pillars and got the nuts from Lowe’s. Should still have the original bag with the sizes on it.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Harrison,
There are many different “thread checkers” or thread gauges available online in metric and US sizes. Some of them are under $15 US. I guarantee that you will use your gauges numerous times. I find myself using my mine around the house in addition to all of the instrument stuff that I do. I highly recommend you buy your own.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Matt K wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:57 pm I can check in the morning. I picked some up for the opposite reason. Was thinking of getting brass nuts to solder onto a non edwards so I bought some pillars and got the nuts from Lowe’s. Should still have the original bag with the sizes on it.
Thanks. Yeah I've been trying to find a good spot to do that on the 36H, but it doesn't look like there is any good real estate in the valve section.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Alas, I threw the bag away with the label on it when I moved. However, the nut says "YZ" on it which according to a google search reveals that might be "1/4-28".

There isn't enough room between the bell brace and the lower tubing to put a nut?
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Matt K wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:57 pm Was thinking of getting brass nuts to solder onto a non edwards so I bought some pillars and got the nuts from Lowe’s.
Eight years until you can do that without looking over your shoulder ;)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Good thing I bought the nuts before inflation started to kick in. Probably saved myself $5! :lol: At the rate I do projects it will be at least 8 years!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Actually, reading through the patent, I'm not sure soldering a nut would violate the patent, depending on location.
The present invention is an improved brass musical instrument, such brass musical instrument having two substantially parallel adjacent braces between portions of the instrument windpath tubing, and the improvement comprises a cross-brace extending in planes substantially parallel to a plane of the parallel braces and having two opposed edges each with two spaced contact regions secured to a respective one of the parallel braces and a recessed region between the contact regions. Such improvement allows other windpath bracing to be eliminated and providing at least one site for securement of at least one sound-modifying component.

In some embodiments of the improved brass musical instrument, the cross-brace has at least one through-hole transverse to the planes of the cross-brace and each through-hole is adapted for receiving a sound-modifying component.
This specifically only mentions substantially parallel braces, whereas I was thinking going the Getzen route and attaching this from bracing to tubing.

It later mentions:
In preferred embodiments of the brass musical instrument, the cross-brace has opposed substantially flat faces extending in planes substantially parallel to a plane of the parallel braces with a plurality of the through-holes arranged therealong. In some of these embodiments, the sound-modifying component is adjustably received within the corresponding through-hole, thereby facilitating sound modification to a musician's preference. In other preferred embodiments, the sound-modifying component is a pillar.
I don't think you could reasonably argue that Bb or F attachment tubing is "substantially flat", nor that it's "substantially parallel" to the braces (especially if there's only one brace).

The only thing that comes close is:
In some embodiments of the invention, the cross-brace spans between portions of the windpath tubing, and some instruments include a pair of cross-braces.
Which to me would be like the straight Alessi medium bore that had the harmonic pillar as a counterweight in between the tuning slides.

So armchair lawyering indicates I'm possibly safe to solder a nut to something as long as it is soldered to windpipe tubing on one side and cross brace!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

A patent is to prevent you from selling the invention without permission. The patent reveals the technology to allow you to experiment with it to create new technologies based on it. As long as you are trying out the patent's teaching for your own information nobody is going to break down your door and take you out in handcuffs. But going into business selling Harmonic Bridges without a license from Edwards will get you in a heap of trouble.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

We'll never know for sure, but it's possible I was joking.

But Bruce is of course correct; as a purely personal matter, you can solder your nuts as you see fit
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I was too but my funny bone is a little sore today.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FWIW, thread size is indeed 1/4"-28

Return to “Accessories”