King 1130 flugabone leadpipe

Larryk

King 1130 flugabone leadpipe

Post by Larryk »

Is the leadpipe bore/size on the flugabone the same as the king 606. .500 bore? Any sources for replacements?
Finetales

Re: King 1130 flugabone leadpipe

Post by Finetales »

The 1130 is .500" bore, yes. You can probably still buy the pipe from Allied Supply, someone with access to the catalog will know for sure.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Allied lists something called "first branch". I have no idea if that would be the leadpipe section. You would have to talk to them.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Larryk

Post by Larryk »

First branch makes sense I think. The leadpipe makes the first bend according to my technician. Guess I will have to check with them.
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

The first branch is not the leadpipe. Parts for that instrument are obsolete as it is no longer in production - I believe King is still using the 1130 model number, but the modern instruments are not the Flugabone.

I have an Allied Catalog from 2012 that lists K930 as the mouthpipe tube for the Flugabone 1130, but that part is no longer available.

Contact Miles O'Malley in Chicago at https://www.omalleyhorns.com. He will be able to make a mandrel and bending form to make an accurate copy of that pipe - it may take some time, though. Otherwise your best option is to find a clunker on eBay with a good leadpipe that you can install.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
doctortrombone

Post by doctortrombone »

Why do you need to replace it? One of the easiest replacements I've found, especially if the wear is right at the valve cluster where your thumb rests, is to cut off the first branch right in front of the braces at the valve cluster. Then install a ferrule that fits over the tube that you cut, and install a 0.500 straight tube were the original tapered lead pipe was. That way, you can install a standard slide trombone lead pipe without having to have the first large crook remanufactured. In my opinion, this actually improves the sound of the flugabone.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Blabberbucket wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:44 am Otherwise your best option is to find a clunker on eBay with a good leadpipe that you can install.
Two parts horns are on eBay right now.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Modification & Repair”