New Multitrack - Way Away (Yellowcard)

Pictures, video, etc.
Finetales

New Multitrack - Way Away (Yellowcard)

Post by Finetales »

Hey everyone,

I thought you would enjoy my newest brass multitrack I uploaded yesterday. Lots of trombone action!

afugate

Re: New Multitrack - Way Away (Yellowcard)

Post by afugate »

I enjoyed that! Shared it with the kids I work with for inspiration. :good:

--Andy in OKC
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Love it!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Shred
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
muschem

Post by muschem »

Really fun! I can only imagine the amount of work it took to put that together.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

sick!
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

AWESOME! :good:
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Wow! Just great!

JS
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Fantastic work. I'm new to this forum so sorry to say that I haven't seen any of your previous videos. Gonna look for 'em, though. Among my initial thoughts:

*Great arrangement
*Wonderful playing across multiple brass instruments
*Excellent sense of whimsy and humor snuck into a kickass chart
*You have a lot of talent, and I hope you get to do a lot with it. I love talented people, and you're clearly in that group

Great stuff, Tiffany.

I'm envious of your multitrack recording skills, too. I'd love to do videos like this, but I don't know how, and where I live I have no resources to learn. I have a couple good mics, ProTools, and a video camera, but zero idea how to put them together to get out of those tools what you do.

Favorite thing I've seen today. Thank you! :)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Spectacular Tiffany. You continue to get better! :good:
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Thank you all for listening! I'm glad you're enjoying it.
tbdana wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:42 pmI'm envious of your multitrack recording skills, too. I'd love to do videos like this, but I don't know how, and where I live I have no resources to learn. I have a couple good mics, ProTools, and a video camera, but zero idea how to put them together to get out of those tools what you do.
When I started doing multitracks I had much less than that and knew nothing. All you have to do is give it a try and you'll start to figure stuff out as you go. Start with something very small, like a 4-part Bach chorale. I started with that Telemann Canonic Study everyone plays, just a one-page duet. Worry about just recording audio first, and then think about adding video when you have a good grasp on recording the audio.

Pro multitracking tip: except for improvised solos, don't try to record the audio and video on the same take. Just focus on getting all the audio right, and then film each part once separately for the video. It ends up being MUCH more efficient than trying to do them at the same time.

If you (or anyone else) has any other questions, I'm happy to help. Multitracking is a lot of fun!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That was awesome
afugate

Post by afugate »

I don't know what others use for video editing, but I use Davinci Resolve. It's now a freemium product and the free version includes about 95% of the full product. Resolve is used by many of the major production studios - that means it can handle just about anything. But it also means there's a learning curve, especially if this is your first real go at video editing.

@Finetales, what video editor do you use?

--Andy in OKC
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

If I had to nitpick, the flugels or whatever that huge belled trumpet looking thing is sounded over-processed. Maybe that instrument just doesn't record as well, or maybe I am not used to what that instrument sounds like. I say that as positive criticism of a video and recording and arrangement that I really like. It's awesome.

The trombone solo and improv recording was really excellent. Did you use a different mic for that one instrument? That's the sound I'd love to get on my small bore, at least as one tool I could have in my toolkit. That extra punchy sound.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

afugate wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:48 am I don't know what others use for video editing, but I use Davinci Resolve. It's now a freemium product and the free version includes about 95% of the full product. Resolve is used by many of the major production studios - that means it can handle just about anything. But it also means there's a learning curve, especially if this is your first real go at video editing.

@Finetales, what video editor do you use?

--Andy in OKC
I've used Resolve for multitracks before, but it slows my computer down to a crawl. I've been using Hitfilm for the last few videos and it does everything I need it to while running much better on my PC.

That said, I have yet to find a video editor that feels like it was actually designed for multicam editing like this. It's really user-unfriendly on every program I've tried.
harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:21 am If I had to nitpick, the flugels or whatever that huge belled trumpet looking thing is sounded over-processed. Maybe that instrument just doesn't record as well, or maybe I am not used to what that instrument sounds like. I say that as positive criticism of a video and recording and arrangement that I really like. It's awesome.
The mellophones? I actually noticed that on a few of the harmonized section licks, that they sound really processed on the final mix. But I didn't process them any more than the other tracks, no bulldozing humanity with Melodyne or anything like that. All the tracks just got EQed, light manual pitch correction, and sent to the reverb busses. I think the mellophones just reacted a lot more to the master compressor/limiter more than the other instruments. That massive flare does mean it's interesting to record with, it's meant to project down field rather than be close-miced. I got some weird artifacts when I recorded the K-50s (the silver one playing the top 2 mellophone parts) that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of. I'm no sound engineer though.
The trombone solo and improv recording was really excellent. Did you use a different mic for that one instrument? That's the sound I'd love to get on my small bore, at least as one tool I could have in my toolkit. That extra punchy sound.
Same mic and interface for everything - Cascade Fat Head into SSL 2. That Fat Head punches WELL above its weight. But that 3B also sounds like that in person...I handpicked it at DJ's precisely because of how punchy it is. A fabulous salsa horn.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Excellent creativity, talent and application.

I really enjoyed listening to this. Thanks so much for sharing.

The only problem is I‘m not sure whether you inspire me to practice more, or to pack all my instruments into a big shipping containing and drop them in the ocean.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

MrHCinDE wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:40 am The only problem is I‘m not sure whether you inspire me to practice more, or to pack all my instruments into a big shipping containing and drop them in the ocean.
Aw, don't waste a perfectly good shipping container

Nice job, Tiffany.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

Wonderful recording and talent! Bravo!

Return to “Media”