folding, portable music stand

TOPSLIDER

folding, portable music stand

Post by TOPSLIDER »

Tell me about one you love or hate or anything...brand names, features to look for, etc. :tenorclef:
officermayo

Re: folding, portable music stand

Post by officermayo »

Love the Rat Jazz stand. Very sturdy yet easily folds up for portability. The heavy duty bag has room for other items (folder, light, plexiglass, etc). Only bad thing is they're expensive - but worth every penny.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
TOPSLIDER

Post by TOPSLIDER »

officermayo wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:43 pm Love the Rat Jazz stand. Very sturdy yet easily folds up for portability. The heavy duty bag has room for other items (folder, light, plexiglass, etc). Only bad thing is they're expensive - but worth every penny.
thanks I will look into it
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have a Manhasset Voyager. The bag isn't as strong as I'd like but if you don't push it too hard it's fine. I put my plastics, 2 Slide Outs, and sometimes a music folder. That's a little too much.

Also, the desk is a little floppy if you keep your music in a loose leaf book. I solved a slippage problem on the post with a hose clamp.

I also have the Hamilton portable (KB-90?). Bag is canvas and is much more durable. Stand will not work with Stand-Outs (rolled edge). Is pretty sturdy with heavy loads.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

How much stuff will you be putting on the stand, and do you want a solid desk, or a wire frame folding desk? Also how small do you want it to be?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I've been very happy with my Desca portable music stand for at least 6 years, since they were made in Colorado. Now made in New Mexico. Same great product. Clever design. Compact. Sturdy. A bit more expensive, but probably worth it.

https://www.descamusic.com/
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I like my Peak foldable stand a lot. It's well-constructed and heavy enough that a light gust of wind won't blow it over, but not so heavy that it's awkward to lug around. The case it came with has long since shredded itself apart, though.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:34 pm I've been very happy with my Desca portable music stand for at least 6 years, since they were made in Colorado. Now made in New Mexico. Same great product. Clever design. Compact. Sturdy. A bit more expensive, but probably worth it.

https://www.descamusic.com/
Yep, the Desca Presto. Best portable stand I've ever used. Pretty sturdy, has a pencil rack, and folds up to not much bigger than a wireframe stand (and has a built-in carrying handle, so is actually easy to carry than one). I've had mine for over 5 years and used it on countless gigs, and it's as rock solid as the day I got it.
rabiddolphin

Post by rabiddolphin »

The Desca stand can have a problem with the bluing on the legs. Mine will rust pretty bad if I don't keep on top of it.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

rabiddolphin wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:22 pm The Desca stand can have a problem with the bluing on the legs. Mine will rust pretty bad if I don't keep on top of it.
I've never seen this problem on my 6-year-old Desca Presto stand or on my colleagues' who use them.

The RAT stands look pretty nice, but very expensive ($138.50 from Amazon).
papaslides

Post by papaslides »

Anyone own both the Peak and Desca stands and care to compare them? I'm mostly interested in stability as I play outdoors a lot, but also need to be able to pack all of my mutes/gear into a single duffel.

I'm leaning Peak right now because sometimes I play big band with a FAT folder, and sometimes I play rock band with an iPad, so my inclination is Peak SMS-50 with the mic stand adapter (thinking the Desca without the desk and an iPad mount clamped onto the pole will look a little ridiculous).

Cheers
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

I’ve used a Peak for 5+ years. Has always been great 👍🏻
www.bengurton.com

Shires Marshall Gilkes
Shires TW25LW/TW47 Trubore 7YLW
Shires Q36YR
XO 1632
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

papaslides wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:11 pm Anyone own both the Peak and Desca stands and care to compare them? I'm mostly interested in stability as I play outdoors a lot, but also need to be able to pack all of my mutes/gear into a single duffel.

I'm leaning Peak right now because sometimes I play big band with a FAT folder, and sometimes I play rock band with an iPad, so my inclination is Peak SMS-50 with the mic stand adapter (thinking the Desca without the desk and an iPad mount clamped onto the pole will look a little ridiculous).

Cheers
I have both. Mostly use the Desca, but for your purposes, I'd stay on the Peak.
papaslides

Post by papaslides »

Posaunus wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:56 pm I have both. Mostly use the Desca, but for your purposes, I'd stay on the Peak.
What’s the length of the Peak when fully collapsed?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

papaslides wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:44 pm
Posaunus wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:56 pm I have both. Mostly use the Desca, but for your purposes, I'd stay on the Peak.
What’s the length of the Peak when fully collapsed?
My robust PEAK stand, in its nylon carry case, measures 5" x 5½" x 27"

My much lighter (but not quite as sturdy) Desca stand collapses to 3½" x 3½" x 20"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I bought a Hercules. It’s a little heavy, but it’s sturdy. During this afternoon’s concert, a couple of Manhassets next to me blew over, but mine didn’t.

http://herculesstands.com/us/products/m ... 408b-plus/
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Accessories”