Kanstul Tone Intensifier

henrysa

Kanstul Tone Intensifier

Post by henrysa »

Snooping around old Kanstul threads. What in the world are these tone intensifiers they used to sell. I am so intrigued by the name, but then again I bought IBM 20 years ago.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Kanstul Tone Intensifier

Post by Matt K »

Attaching image for posterity:
Kanstul Tone Intensifier.png
Original description:
This handy gadget funnels vibrations normally lost through the horn for greater power and projection. Also stops unnecessary vibrations in the mouthpiece shank.
Allegedly adding a little mass to the shank alters the sound in positive ways. I know a few people who I totally respect who have these or made similar ones. I've never really tried something like that, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

I have one that i use on the shank of my bass trumpet mouthpiece. It’s pretty heavy compared to a mouthpiece and definitely changes the feel in the same way a heavy mouthpiece blank does. Don’t know if it changes the sound in a noticeable way. 100% not snake oil, in my opinion.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Back in the Bad Old Days (pre Kanstul) they used to sell these as the Sound Sleeve. I made one out of an old bearing. Seemed to enhance my lower register without doing anything to my upper. Then I changed trombones and the improvised Sound Sleeve didn't fit. Guess what? My lower register was still enhanced and my upper register was unaffected. Did it help? Dunno. I used to offer my bearing to anybody who asked, but I no longer have access to it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Always keep your bearings.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Too late for that!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

So changing weight in different points on a horn has an effect on how the horn plays, but the room plays a big role in it. There are certain rooms where having heavy equipment will make it easy to play. There are other rooms where the same heavy equipment will be very difficult to play. So the ability to change the weight could potentially make it easier to play with the same resistance in a variety of rooms.

The harmonic brace, heavy valve caps, resistance balancer, etc etc all are tools that maybe can help adapt a horn to the room you're in.

That all said - it's easy to mess with these things in one room and decide that it's horrible, but it could really help in a different room.
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Fascinated! Now even more curious. If I find one and start using it will I be suspended by the TBC for inserting an implant?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

i have one of these (not made by Kanstul) that I have used on a couple mouthpieces, including a Teele model that is so light that it is nearly useless. With the weight it's a much better playing piece.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:01 am I used to offer my bearing to anybody who asked
How very liberated. Could you spin it for Leslie vib?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:41 am i have one of these (not made by Kanstul) that I have used on a couple mouthpieces, including a Teele model that is so light that it is nearly useless. With the weight it's a much better playing piece.
What? You mean you don't like peeling paint at pianissimo with the Teele? Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces are definitely different, that's for sure. I remember reading an article about the light weight design, but I can't find it anymore.

I wonder if they would make one of the endorsee mouthpieces in the Pro-Line shape.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Chuck McAlexander (the Brasslab) in NYC used to make these - he called his "mouthpiece doughnuts". They definitely make a difference in response, similar to the different blanks that some mouthpiece manufacturers offer. Whether it's a positive or negative difference depends on the player, the mouthpiece and the difference that you are looking for. I found that the one that I had made the slotting more pronounced and the loud playing a bit more dialled-in, but also maybe lost a bit of color in soft playing. Ultimately, it didn't fit (literally) when I changed instruments, and the mouthpiece fit just a small amount further into the receiver. A whole lot of mouthpieces later, I'm not sure where the "doughnut" is!

Jim Scott
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:20 pm
I wonder if they would make one of the endorsee mouthpieces in the Pro-Line shape.
They will.

http://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/pr ... s_id=19572
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I have the same kind of thing but a generic version. I used it for a while about 25 years ago. My experience was it made things “stiff” in flexibility—the horn slotted too well. It also took more effort to start and sustain a note.

I suppose I could use it as a training device: play flexibilities with it on then off, long tones on then off to focus on coordination of breath, tongue shape, embouchure shape, etc. Worth a second thought…
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Mouthpieces”