Trombotine cap into floor crack - NOOOOOOOO

AndrewMeronek

Trombotine cap into floor crack - NOOOOOOOO

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I was going about my normal pre-gig routine, unpacking my stuff, preparing to do some basic slide testing and lubing. I grab my trombotine, take the cap off, put the cap on my music stand, and the cap somehow sticks to my finger and flies off when I move my hand after thinking I had placed it on my stand - and it goes flying, bounces on the ground some, and rolls into a crack in the stage, to disappear into the below-stage nether regions of the ether, never to return.

Obviously, I became concerned.

I ended up using some electrical tape to create a very basic seal on the aperture of the trombotine tube, but that isn't going to work for very long. Does anyone have a good ideas? Maybe there is someplace that I can look to purchase a matching cap (thread size, etc.) or two?
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
pmeiden

Re: Trombotine cap into floor crack - NOOOOOOOO

Post by pmeiden »

Ask at your local pharmacy - they may have replacement caps or alternate caps (like for arthritic hands). Many ointments come in trombotine type tubes with little plastic caps.

Good luck
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Maybe buy another vial and then seal this one off until the other one is empty? Can probably get some kind of plug with a drop of glue and a misc top from something food related?
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

This is a real serious issue because as we know with Trombotine you are looking for a solution for at least a decade, right? :-)
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
RichC

Post by RichC »

Buy a 3D printer and make one
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

pmeiden wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:08 am Ask at your local pharmacy - they may have replacement caps or alternate caps (like for arthritic hands). Many ointments come in trombotine type tubes with little plastic caps.

Good luck
Thanks, that's a great idea.
MStarke wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:41 am This is a real serious issue because as we know with Trombotine you are looking for a solution for at least a decade, right? :-)
At the least. Come to think of it, I've never actually emptied a tube of trombotine.

- Thelonious Monk
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

I had an old tube that got a crack in it after years of being moved around.

I just squeezed it all into a few little plastic jars, like you find in the travel section of CVS or Walgreens.
Last edited by DaveAshley on Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basie1955

Post by Basie1955 »

MStarke wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:41 am This is a real serious issue because as we know with Trombotine you are looking for a solution for at least a decade, right? :-)
Not true. I’ve been through 6 tubes already just this year.
And I don’t even play trombone anymore.
Lhbone

Post by Lhbone »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:34 pm I was going about my normal pre-gig routine, unpacking my stuff, preparing to do some basic slide testing and lubing. I grab my trombotine, take the cap off, put the cap on my music stand, and the cap somehow sticks to my finger and flies off when I move my hand after thinking I had placed it on my stand - and it goes flying, bounces on the ground some, and rolls into a crack in the stage, to disappear into the below-stage nether regions of the ether, never to return.

Obviously, I became concerned.

I ended up using some electrical tape to create a very basic seal on the aperture of the trombotine tube, but that isn't going to work for very long. Does anyone have a good ideas? Maybe there is someplace that I can look to purchase a matching cap (thread size, etc.) or two?
I squeeze all of my trombotine into .25 ounce lip balm containers. Those tubes usually spur a leak anyway. Makes it last longer in fact.

https://www.amazon.com/Lip-Balm-Contain ... C77&sr=8-2
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Basie1955 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:07 pm
Not true. I’ve been through 6 tubes already just this year.
And I don’t even play trombone anymore.
Oh no - another oral Trombotine addict. :horror:
This calls for serious intervention and detoxification / rehabilitation!
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Well, I checked the local pharmacy and they had nothing that would work.

Checked a few other stores. I eventually found at a dollar-like store a set of plastic mini-storage containers, but after opening up the packaging found that the lids were some of the worst loose-fitting lids I've ever seen.

The search continues . . .

- Thelonious Monk
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Crazy idea -- buy a new tube.

Or, just get any old cosmetics jar and transfer the contents in. You use your hand to apply either way.
jpwell

Post by jpwell »

How about writing to trombotine and ask them for a new lid????
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

jpwell wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:01 pm How about writing to trombotine and ask them for a new lid????
Harrumph. :eek:

Actually, that is an option. But I see this as an opportunity to maybe have some fun and be creative. I don't feel too bad about the crappy min-storage containers, at least. I can use them for other random small item storage: things like buttons, SD cards, etc.

- Thelonious Monk
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Is Trombotine still sold with a metal seal under the cap? If so, buy a new tube and use the cap on the old tube. When you need to start the new tube transfer the cap over (you need it to puncture the seal) and you are on your way.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Drug stores should have some small containers - I've usually found them in the travel section. People buy those to bring along their regular personal care items in a small enough quantity to get through the TSA line. A luggage place might be another store that carries some of those containers for carry-on bag use.

Jim Scott
davdud101

Post by davdud101 »

I'm really really late but... air dry clay!
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Aluminium 35mm film canisters work. They’re available on ePoop for slightly higher than nominal prices. I successfully used them for Ponds (TM) cold cream. The canisters are often sold in multiples. But that allows you to place a canister in each respective case of your herd. I predict that all of your fellow band members and trombone players will look up to you with awe and respect for how you use and store Trombotine. If you’re whining about the price of film cans, then you’re just not showing enough commitment to using Trombotine.

In the interest of full disclosure, Trombotine is available from Sweetwater for $6.99 per with free shipping.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas

Return to “Maintenance”