Fitting modern mouthpieces into a vintage Olds?

tyrannothesaurus

Fitting modern mouthpieces into a vintage Olds?

Post by tyrannothesaurus »

Hey all. I recently acquired a vintage Olds Special… Fairly well condition. Serial number somewhere in the 30000’s (I can’t quite recall off the top of my head), from the 40’s.

I’m simply not a fan of the Olds 3 mouthpiece. I’m somewhat familiar with the receiver on the horn… Morse taper? It’s smaller than the modern small shank horns we have today. My Bach 7c seats about 1/4” above where it normally would.

I’m considering some other mouthpieces. But before that, I figured I would see what I could do about the receiver. Does the mouthpiece seating 1/4” inch off warrant modifying the receiver? Or is that difference somewhat indecipherable in playing? If it’s worth modifying, is that something I could get bored out to be slightly larger, maybe expanded by a tech? I’m not well versed in trombone modification… High school senior with a vintage horn. Trying to do the beauty my due diligence.

Thanks all for your advice.
hyperbolica

Re: Fitting modern mouthpieces into a vintage Olds?

Post by hyperbolica »

I've had a couple of Olds instruments, and the mouthpiece is always the catch. I use DE mouthpieces, and Doug always seems to have the right shank on hand. There will be an O at the end of the shank designation to signify a slightly smaller diameter to get the proper insertion length. With Doug's stuff it's easy. With other stuff, you can maybe sand a few thousandths of an inch off the diameter of the shank, play it long, or deal with whatever old Olds mouthpieces you can find.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

If you're willing to take the plunge into Doug Elliott land, Doug makes a Shank that is perfect for the small-bore Olds trombones. Then you can choose any Cup and Rim that you're comfortable with. You may never turn back!
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Doug Elliott makes an ‘Olds’ shank
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I've played Olds trombones before with a regular mouthpiece and I thought it was fine. If you find you don't like it, a good tech could turn down the shank on the mouthpiece.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Not all Olds horns had the smaller receiver. My very first horn was a Recording from the mid-50's with a normal receiver.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Some people can use a standard mouthpiece on the vintage Olds trombones with no problems, some cannot. Give it a try.

If I were starting over, I would probably go the Doug Elliott route. It'll cost a bit more than an off-the-shelf mouthpiece, but (since Doug will be there to advise you) you'll only have to buy one mouthpiece rather than having to go through a protracted mouthpiece search.
tyrannothesaurus

Two answers being a regular mouthpiece is fine, or get a Doug Elliott. What I have works for now. But I'm enticed haha. :idk:
I'm fairly sure this receiver is smaller than the modern small shank. I am not quite sure where the shift happen for Olds horns.
But it sounds like if I didn't end up with a Doug Elliot, getting the horn modified isn't a bad idea... Although I doubt I'm going to run through a bunch of mouthpieces; I'd rather stick with one. I don't want to fall into the equipment arms race... Thanks you all.
tyrannothesaurus

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:55 pm Not all Olds horns had the smaller receiver. My very first horn was a Recording from the mid-50's with a normal receiver.
I am encountering overwhelming recommendations to check out your mouthpieces... Do you ever end up at any conferences? ITF, ATW, any of the state music educators' stuff for conventions maybe? I'd turn up at an event to work some options in person.

Looks you have an awesome shop going... It's so awesome somebody on this forum can recommend a custom mouthpiece maker, and then that maker respond in the same thread... Hopefully I can look into your stuff a little heavier soon.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

If you do decide to get the receiver opened up, I would be very careful who you get to do the work. Find someone who has done it before.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

It's a lot easier to replace (or shave down the shank of) a mouthpiece than to alter this trombone's receiver / leadpipe.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I am also able to open the receiver if you want to go that way.
I am always at the ATW at the Army Band in March, and at ITF. I usually go to TMEA.
But I generally keep Olds shanks in stock and USPS is only 2 or 3 days for $10 if you want to try one.

Also, depending on where you are, I do some amount of traveling playing gigs. In the next few months I will be in NJ, OH, and FL.
tyrannothesaurus

You’re coming to Florida? Schedule permitting I can be around.

Late response, oops… I didn’t see this. The overwhelming response is to go your route. I saw about your Olds taper and D2.5(?) shank and sent you an email. I know your schedule is probably very tight, however. I’m interested to learn about your system!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:21 am I am also able to open the receiver if you want to go that way.
I am always at the ATW at the Army Band in March, and at ITF. I usually go to TMEA.
But I generally keep Olds shanks in stock and USPS is only 2 or 3 days for $10 if you want to try one.

Also, depending on where you are, I do some amount of traveling playing gigs. In the next few months I will be in NJ, OH, and FL.
Where (and when) are you going to be in Ohio, Doug?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Unfortunately I won't have any spare time. 2 gigs 6 hours apart.
Friday 12/15 Lorain OH
Saturday 12/16 Middleport OH
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:49 pm Unfortunately I won't have any spare time. 2 gigs 6 hours apart.
Friday 12/15 Lorain OH
Saturday 12/16 Middleport OH
Rats. I was hoping to get a lesson in, or buy you a beer, or both.

Are you coming to the Air Force Museum?
chouston3

Post by chouston3 »

I have an olds Super. My Wedge mouthpiece fits. However, my Bach mouthpiece does not really. Of course my Olds mouthpiece fits just fine.

However, my Olds mouthpiece is too big for me. it’s an 8s and feels kind of like a bach 6.5.

Return to “Modification & Repair”