Breslmair tenor rim shapes

patbone

Breslmair tenor rim shapes

Post by patbone »

Hi, all.

Recently, I’ve been intrigued by the Breslmair mouthpiece system. Specifically about which rim form(s) might fit my playing style the best. From the few I’ve seen here on TC, it seems people mostly use the rim form “B”. I’m curious how this stacks up to the rim shape/feel of mouthpieces more commonly used in the U.S.? For reference, I currently play on a Hammond 12L, but have also spent time on various other pieces (Doug Elliott, Griego, Greg Black, etc.).

My curiosity in these pieces is because I have been interested in moving smaller rim-size wise for a while, since my ideal sound-concept has changed and I want to sound more like a tenor-trombone(if that makes sense). It wasn’t until only a couple weeks ago I moved to the Hammond 12 (before I played an 11L for around 2 months; prior to that, various “3g” sized rims). I digress.

I enjoy the feel of the rim on my Hammond pieces, but they tend to be a little too open in the backbore for me. The Bres pieces seem to be able to keep the depth of cup that I like, with only a slight reduction in openness in the bore. I generally prefer a flatter rim with a medium bite. The Bres rims that interest me are the Forms “A” and “DK”. Based on what I currently play, I’d most likely go for the 58 rim size (25.8mm).

If any of you have thoughts on this, I would love to hear from all!

Thanks for reading!

PA
Retrobone

Re: Breslmair tenor rim shapes

Post by Retrobone »

Hi
I like Breslmair's pieces and I have tried all rims you mentioned. A58, B58 and DK58. I settled on the B rim but do occasionally try the others on variuos whims. The A rim is flatter, a bit like a Greg Black standard rim (around the 4.5 size I'd say). DK rim is slightly narrower but still fairly flat-ish. The A feels slightly roomier on the face, as if it's slightly wider (it isn';t). I imagine the high point of the B rim is closer to the cup, which gives it a more compact feel.
DK stands for Dietmar Kueboeck. Better flexibilty than the A rim. I use the Y1 and Y2 cups. Y2 mostly. I also have a big collection of Hammond pieces. The jury is still out! The Breslmairs are excellent and consistent. I want to go visit them sometime and try all the rim shapes.
Tim Dowling
Principal trombonist, Residentie Orchestra, The Hague
patbone

Post by patbone »

This is really great information; helps me interpret Breslmair’s website a little easier... Thanks so much for your reply!

PA
Retrobone

Post by Retrobone »

I find their website a bit impenetrable to be honest. Even as someone who can read German. But I think they really make excellent mouthpieces with a clear sonic signature. I find the mouthpieces to speak very easily and cleanly.
Tim Dowling
Principal trombonist, Residentie Orchestra, The Hague
madelynstoklosa

Post by madelynstoklosa »

That's some good food-for-thought! Thanks for posting this.

Return to “Mouthpieces”