Laskey Alessi Signature...?

Garoissimo

Laskey Alessi Signature...?

Post by Garoissimo »

Well, I must regrettably say that unlike the Greg Black Alessi Signatures that I have been playing and performing on for 20 years, the newest Alessi signature from Laskey really did not really impress me at all. But, I suppose it is simply that his original design is still, for me my ultimate match. It also makes sense that as Mr. Alessi's embouchure has matured and changed slightly over the years that his current ultimate design may not be quite the same as it was 20 years ago. I do note that ALL of the 3 rim diameters in this newest line are actually smaller than the Black versions of old. Of course the 67 is certainly still huge in terms of what most mere mortals would ever consider as suitable for symphonic principal. The backbore and throat on all three is also larger by quite a bit.

However, I had a really bad experience with the eBay distributor that I elected to purchase from, so bad in fact that it has led me to wonder if he is mixing in factory 2nds, or even rejects, into his stock. The piece I received was physically rough to the touch inside the cup, and one can not only feel the rough machining cut marks, but they are clearly visible even to the eye. I was a prototype machinist at one point in my life for about 5 years, and so I know exactly what I was seeing. This was NOT the fine finish cut and polished surface of a high end custom mouthpiece. Not at all. Not the proper finish cut of ANY mouthpiece I had ever seen.

This distributor has apparently has tens of thousand of happy customers and close to a 100% 5-star rating. He also has a 'No Returns' policy; yet, the workmanship was so bad, and so evident even in the photos I sent him that he immediately approved a full refund.

Well, I didn't like the feel of it anyway, so no great loss. Somehow the combination of smaller inner rim dia, and much larger backbore and throat just wasn't right for me. The original Black/Alessi Signature is simply the perfect piece for me. I performed the Grondahl Concerto on the 3.5m, and a few years later, after eventually changing to the 5M, the Rota Concerto on the 5M. Both these pieces were, and still are, phenomenal for me.

I guess the moral of this little story is that, 1) It isn't always possible to improve on something; sometimes you just plain get it perfect the first time around. And, 2) If at all possible, never order a custom piece (or custom anything) from anywhere other than the actual factory or person making it.

Anyway, thanks to the comments of someone here on another thread post, I learned that the original Black/Alessi pieces might still be available from Greg Black.

So, after this huge let down experience with Laskey, I called Mr. Black and was really happy to find that even now, 20 years later, he still answers the phone and was able to confirm that the 'New York' line are indeed those same pieces.

For me it is really comforting to know that these incredible pieces are still available for mortals everywhere.

(I would show you guys the photos of this reject piece, but I don't think simply adding them to this post is possible here on this forum.)
BGuttman

Re: Laskey Alessi Signature...?

Post by BGuttman »

You cannot upload pictures to the Chat until you have 3 approved posts.

However, if you can put the photos in another on-line location, you can use IMG tags like this:

Code: Select all

{img]URL address goes here[/URL]
Here is an example: Image
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The eBay take on the story lends little credit to the rest of it -- who knows what you received from eBay....

It could be anything.
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

Interesting if the greg black Alessi pieces are still available from him. I've heard a few folks say that the GB Alessi and NY pieces are very different from each other.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Original Laskeys had some really... Interesting machine work on them. The best 93D I had had huge marks you could feel with your finger inside the cup from manufacture.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I have also found the Laskey Alessi's to be different from the GB - I wonder if part of the reason is that he now plays on a rotor valve horn instead of a thayer, and wanted a mouthpiece that would work more as a unit with his current set-up. From what I experienced, the Laskey's were a touch lighter (I really need to buy a gram scale!) and the rim contour was definitely different.

Out of curiosity did you get the SOLO or the SYMPH line?

Sorry you had that experience with the manufacturing, the four Laskey-Alessi's I bought from Hickey's in Ithaca (55 and 60 in both styles, returned the SOLO line) had none of the defects you mentioned.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Hm... I have sold quite a few Alessi Laskeys and obviously have a lot of them in stock. All of them are made really well. Flawlessly well...

You sure you got a real Laskey?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
StevenHolloway

Post by StevenHolloway »

The Greg Black New York series isn’t exactly the same as the Greg Black Alessi series. I know for a fact the back bore is different and I suspect there were some more subtle changes made.
Garoissimo

Post by Garoissimo »

Wow - Ok, a few answers: (sorry for the rather inane nature of my post... I can see this now. It is kind of you all to comment regardless of this...)

1. No. I am not sure that what I received was authentic from Laskey, and from what I am reading here it was certianly not up to Laskey's normal quality. Therefore it is likely a simple case of "Stupid is, as stupid does." :) Seemed like a very reputable distributor; but, without actually knowing the place first hand, anything is possible I guess. or, one with a bad finish just got past their QC I guess.

Also, you are saying I may not actually know what the real 60 Symphony feels like. Fair point indeed.

2. It was the 60 Symphony I tried; the deep version. I guess now when I get my refund I will have choice of trying one from Laskey direct, or trying one of the GB New Yorks. Yet, I already have what amounts to 2 fantastic pieces, so it isn't like I really need another. I was just excited to try Joe's new design, since I found the old Alessi's to be so amazing. I may yet try the 60 Solo, although the specs on these new Alessi's are considerably different from his original design. Interesting how many players who try the Solo version say they did not like it though.

3. As for the GB New York not being the same as the Black/Alessi? Yeah, figures... this would make sense: If there is one thing I have learned, it is that anytime I love something, it is always discontinued. :) lol

Thanks again for the comments and info. Very informative. Appreciate your time.
Nobbi

Post by Nobbi »

Since my lips touched the GB New York 5m .... they feel like at home. My ears by the way as well.
Just had the chance to test the Laskey 60 Solo ... beautiful mouthpiece, awesome sound ... would have loved to keep it but didn't get rid of a little vibrato in a few tones.
Thank you SwissTbone for your excellent service.

Return to “Mouthpieces”