Any audition takers ever worked with Chris Still?

How and what to teach and learn.
ATXBassBone

Any audition takers ever worked with Chris Still?

Post by ATXBassBone »

I can't get a read on this guy. I know he's a great player but I haven't heard that much about his programs.
VJOFan

Re: Any audition takers ever worked with Chris Still?

Post by VJOFan »

I hope no one wants to discuss a professional colleague in a public forum like this. It seems bad form to do that. Maybe those with knowledge have already dm’d you.

But the topic does make me think about auditions in general. My wish is that I would have worried less about audition prep and more about becoming a deeply knowledgeable and proficient musician. I got into one orchestra and then started crashing at auditions because in my inner mind, I knew I would not be able to keep up with the jobs I was trying for if I did do my best audition.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

VJOFan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:29 pm I hope no one wants to discuss a professional colleague in a public forum like this. It seems bad form to do that. Maybe those with knowledge have already dm’d you.

But the topic does make me think about auditions in general. My wish is that I would have worried less about audition prep and more about becoming a deeply knowledgeable and proficient musician. I got into one orchestra and then started crashing at auditions because in my inner mind, I knew I would not be able to keep up with the jobs I was trying for if I did do my best audition.
I looked him up - he is a trumpet player who sells a product (book/videos/exercises?) designed to help people prepare for auditions. The OP isn't asking about how a colleague plays, but is asking if anyone has tried this product (sorry, I didn't go into a deep dive as to what exactly was offered, and I think you need to purchase it to get all of the specifics).

Chris is in the LA Phil., and the general info that I saw on his site sounded like it might be good. There are some good products out there that are designed to help people achieve their full potential in auditions and other stressful circumstances. This looked interesting to me, but I am close to retirement - no more auditions.

Jim Scott
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I haven't looked at his program, but I went to school with Chris. He's a very intelligent, personable, and thoughtful guy. And he won a string of auditions himself, so everything he's teaching comes from experience.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”