Tweaking a Selmer K modified

gregwaits

Tweaking a Selmer K modified

Post by gregwaits »

I’m sure it’s been done.

I bought a very clean Selmer Special 23 K modified a couple of years ago. Excellent slide. .490 bore. My impression is that it plays with too much resistance for my taste.

I’d considered experimenting with leadpipes to see how much it could come around. I don’t have a lot invested in it so it’s almost worth doing,

But then again, that’s a huge rabbit hole. Plus I’m pretty much content playing Conn 6Hs.

Do any tbn chat members own one of these?
ithinknot

Re: Tweaking a Selmer K modified

Post by ithinknot »

What makes you think it's (only) the leadpipe?

Never played one, but just from photos the neckpipe obviously starts pretty small, and the TS radii and span are all quite tight regardless of IDs. If, for example, you've tried a 6H slide on it and it's obvious that the back end plays massive and it's the front holding it back, then maybe... if it was a less tidy horn, you could do your own work and you were aiming for something in particular, fair enough.

But if I had a very clean example with an excellent slide, I'd just sell it to someone who would enjoy it for what it is.
gregwaits

Re: Tweaking a Selmer K modified

Post by gregwaits »

ithinknot wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:24 am What makes you think it's (only) the leadpipe?

Never played one, but just from photos the neckpipe obviously starts pretty small, and the TS radii and span are all quite tight regardless of IDs. If, for example, you've tried a 6H slide on it and it's obvious that the back end plays massive and it's the front holding it back, then maybe... if it was a less tidy horn, you could do your own work and you were aiming for something in particular, fair enough.

But if I had a very clean example with an excellent slide, I'd just sell it to someone who would enjoy it for what it is.
good points

Return to “Modification & Repair”