Slide bumpers, cork barrels

Macbone1

Slide bumpers, cork barrels

Post by Macbone1 »

How do you know when it's time to replace the bumpers in the cork barrels? I have two instruments that sound rather loud on the slide return. Not the really loud clank of metal on metal but still kind of loud. And what about the practice of only putting one bumper on? Would both be better?
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
BGuttman

Re: Slide bumpers, cork barrels

Post by BGuttman »

My rule of thumb is if you have screwed the slide lock pawl (arm) all the way in and it still doesn't lock the cam you need new bumpers. Of course if you have no slide lock, this test doesn't work.

If you are talking about putting bumpers in only one of the two cork barrels, my thoughts as an engineer is "don't". You will introduce a bending moment on the slide brace each time you ram the slide home. This can't do any good.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Thanks much Bruce. Slide locks still work, so far so good 👍. I had read about the one cork barrel approach on this forum somewhere, and was rather surprised.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

I don't play against the bumpers, so the loudness is irrelevant to me. I replace if they're crumbling, if they might be harboring smells (buying a used horn with a stanky case), or if there's too much play above the slide lock.

Bruce is right from a theoretical perspective - though I imagine the risks are minimal compared to the forces introduced every time you go anywhere near 7th - but why "ram the slide home" anyway?

The advantage of only doing the lower side is that there is a noticeable difference between directly and indirectly smacking yourself in the teeth, though neither is recommended.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Thanks ithinknot. I normally don't close the slide 100% either but there's always a risk of a "thunk", which can come through on recordings. I hardly record anymore so the point is moot.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet

Return to “Maintenance”