Best way to get my chops back?

Bomtrone

Best way to get my chops back?

Post by Bomtrone »

I just joined a concert band after 15 years of not playing (group size is about 80 people). I will be playing 2nd trombone part. Does anyone have experience with getting their chops back after such a long hiatus? Any tips? Thanks!
Posaunus

Re: Best way to get my chops back?

Post by Posaunus »

Yes. Play every day if you can, for at least 30 minutes. Find other groups to play in; you'll probably get tired of hearing no one but yourself. Lots of other folks here will tell you what to practice. But for now, just play regularly and seriously.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It's best if you can play more than once every day, even if it's only a few minutes.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Like Doug said, more than once per day.

When I’ve taken time off and need to get back in shape, I try to play 2-3 times/day for the first few days, 10-15 minutes at most. Watch for signs of fatigue and don’t go beyond that. I like to use slow slurs, some long tones, limited flexibilities, and slow scales. Focus on articulations (beginnings and endings of notes) and intonation. After the first few days, I increase the time per session and, if possible the number of sessions per day.

Be sure to add some music for beauty and fun. Cimera 55 Études are good to start with.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
hwlentz

Post by hwlentz »

On the occasions when I’ve been away from the horn for a few weeks, I’ve found this Brad Edwards book helpful in re-building tone, intonation and musicality:

https://www.hornbonepress.com/books/ssw/
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Get your chops back? That's easy:

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

"Lose Your Knack for Losing Things"
balkansobranie

Post by balkansobranie »

I started playing again 6-8 weeks ago following a 20 year gap. Did a lot of mouthpiece buzzing and long notes/slurs for the first week focussing mainly on the lower register, three short sessions a day (about 15 minutes each). Then gradually increased the session length and did two longer sessions each day (around 30 minutes each) since. I gradually increased the difficulty of what I was playing in the afternoon session, but keep the morning session for slurs, long notes etc.

I also keep my mouthpiece in my pocket and do ad hoc buzzing mini-sessions when at home.

On the plus side, I feel with this reset that my high register is coming back better than it was in my prime 23 years ago, perhaps because I probably didn't do enough warm ups and exercices when I was younger.

Best of luck with the concert band, funnily enough I have my first rehearsal with our local concert band this week. I feel prepared but am slightly anxious about stamina over a whole rehearsal, but I won't be playing 1st Trombone so it should hopefully be fine.
1969 Conn 88H Elkhart Tenor Trombone used with Marcinkiewicz model ET1 Byron Peebles Mouthpiece.

Martin "Urbie Green" Medium Bore Tenor Trombone used with Marcinkiewicz Mouthpiece model 8.

Return to “Performance”