Conn 30H inner slide tube sources

gregwaits

Conn 30H inner slide tube sources

Post by gregwaits »

I’m looking at a Conn 30H (dual bore).

Conn’s numbering system shows the bore to be 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 (approximately .494 - 507). How hard is to find replacement tubes? Options?

The price is more than reasonable, so I’m taking a chance on it. The inners are completely shot, but there is visible wear….no surprise considering the vintage (1936)
greenbean

Re: Conn 30H inner slide tube sources

Post by greenbean »

The bores would suggest inners for a Bach 16, you will have to confirm that the outer diameters at the stockings are a good match. And check length.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

gregwaits wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:36 pm I’m looking at a Conn 30H (dual bore).

Conn’s numbering system shows the bore to be 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 (approximately .494 - 507). How hard is to find replacement tubes? Options?

The price is more than reasonable, so I’m taking a chance on it. The inners are completely shot, but there is visible wear….no surprise considering the vintage (1936)
Greg,

You are correct - the Conn 30H "Burkle" has a 0.494"/0.507" dual bore slide. May be a bit of a challenge to get replacement tubes, but worth it if you can. I purchased a damaged 30H (Elkhart, 1936) in the height of the pandemic from an eager seller who wanted to unload it. The bell was severely crumpled. John Sandhagen was able to roll out the bell and straighten the slide (with unworn inners). It now plays like a dream - but only likes a Conn 3 mouthpiece. (Something about the soldered-in leadpipe.)
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:36 pm
gregwaits wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:36 pm I’m looking at a Conn 30H (dual bore).

Greg,

You are correct - the Conn 30H "Burkle" has a 0.494"/0.507" dual bore slide. May be a bit of a challenge to get replacement tubes, but worth it if you can. I purchased a damaged 30H (Elkhart, 1936) in the height of the pandemic from an eager seller who wanted to unload it. The bell was severely crumpled. John Sandhagen was able to roll out the bell and straighten the slide (with unworn inners). It now plays like a dream - but only likes a Conn 3 mouthpiece. (Something about the soldered-in leadpipe.)
I’m meeting the seller later today. The horn needs some attention, but it’s not totally trashed. It has a number of minor dents here and there, but no creases. There’s visible plating loss on one stocking.

Oh, this one is from ‘36 too. And the price is ridiculously low.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The thing about 30h is that the slide is crazy narrow. It's the narrowest slide I've ever seen. That makes it uncomfortable for some people to play. The one I had sounded great, I just physically hated to play it. I got a 32h and widened the slide.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

hyperbolica wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:37 am The thing about 30h is that the slide is crazy narrow. It's the narrowest slide I've ever seen. That makes it uncomfortable for some people to play. The one I had sounded great, I just physically hated to play it. I got a 32h and widened the slide.
Matt,
You have a fetish about wide slides. Yes the 30H slide is rather narrow, but it was fine for a few generations of trombonists. My 36H was made in 1936 and (after John Sandhagen's magic) plays like a dream.
Very comfortable on my shoulder ( and narrow neck)!
Last edited by Posaunus on Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Fetish about wide slides? Not really, I just don't like really narrow ones. I like my 88h, but to me that's not narrow. I like the way the 30h plays, I just can't deal with the pressure on my neck. Really wide slides kind of creep me out too, like some Holtons, and to be honest, my Kanstul. But I love the wide slide on my 79h. Ok, maybe a little fetish :pant:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Some people love wide slides. Some people love narrow slides. Byron Peebles had a Mt Vernon 42 converted to a narrow slide decades agp: http://www.brassark.com/museum/bachmtvernon42.html
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
gregwaits

Post by gregwaits »

I ended up buying the horn. It was made in ‘36. I paid $200.

The slide is actually pretty smooth, and definitely “giggable” despite the plating loss on one stocking. Tuning slide moves fine. A few minor dents here and there. It’s a worthy restoration candidate.

Return to “Modification & Repair”