Retail Source of Hetman Products?

KWL

Retail Source of Hetman Products?

Post by KWL »

Since the late 2022 thread about Hetman still being in business and having supply chain issues (viewtopic.php?p=196377&hilit=hetman#p196377), I have been searching for a source of the rotor #12 and bearing & linkage #14 lubricants. Neither my local source nor any of my on-line sources have them available. Is anyone aware of his current situation and projected recovery or know of a source?

The previous Hetman threads have plenty of recommendations of alternative products. I'm not looking for that here.
Last edited by KWL on Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
vetsurginc

Re: Retail Source of Hetman Products?

Post by vetsurginc »

spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

But says that #12 and #14 are out of stock with no ETA on new shipments...
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

I bought my last supply from The Tuba Exchange, but they're out too.

You may not want to hear it, but the writing seems to be on the wall.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I'm OK now, but I will eventually run out of my Hetman lubes.
What are the best options for alternatives? :idk:
KWL

Post by KWL »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:47 am I'm OK now, but I will eventually run out of my Hetman lubes.
Check viewtopic.php?t=29276

I was hoping Mamaposaune would weigh in with the latest information.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:47 am I'm OK now, but I will eventually run out of my Hetman lubes.
Switch to Ultrapure. It's an even better product. The only thing I couldn't find from Ultrapure was a ball joint lube, but I believe my bottle of Hetman 15 will last forever.

Don't get the slide lube though. Yamasnot is better.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:24 am
Switch to Ultrapure. It's an even better product. The only thing I couldn't find from Ultrapure was a ball joint lube, but I believe my bottle of Hetman 15 will last forever.

Thanks Harrison. I expected more from the new UltraPure slide lube, but it's still not as good as Yamaha or Rapid Comfort.
If no more Hetman's, I'll switch to the other Ultra Pure lubes. But I'm not running out soon.
Gfunk

Post by Gfunk »

It seems other people are about in the same situation I am in. I swear by my Hetman ball joint oil ( for more than just ball joints) and the bottle has gotten so much use and been in so many cases that it’s cracked and leaks even when covered by tape. I hope I can replace it, but if I end up needing to switch to ultra pure for everything else that wouldn’t be a big deal.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Gfunk wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:39 pm It seems other people are about in the same situation I am in. I swear by my Hetman ball joint oil ( for more than just ball joints) and the bottle has gotten so much use and been in so many cases that it’s cracked and leaks even when covered by tape. I hope I can replace it, but if I end up needing to switch to ultra pure for everything else that wouldn’t be a big deal.
Same thing happened to me (Inferior Hetman's plastic bottle.) Just pour your Hetman's oil into another plastic bottle with a nozzle.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Any recommendation on which type of Ultrapure for Axials? I currently use Hetman's #11. I hate to buy a bunch to try if I don't have to.

Thanks
Steve
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

sacfxdx wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:52 pm
Any recommendation on which type of Ultrapure for Axials? I currently use Hetman's #11. I hate to buy a bunch to try if I don't have to.

Thanks
I use the light on my rotax and normal on everything else. It lasts a long time. The bearing oil is the other one to get, for the spindle/bearing.
KWL

Post by KWL »

sacfxdx wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:52 pm

Thanks
Ultra-Pure posted a Hetman -> Ultra-Pure cross reference table in their blog. Hetman #11 maps to the Ultra-Pure Ultra-Light oil.

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/post/if-y ... -pure-oils
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

KWL wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:53 pm
Ultra-Pure posted a Hetman -> Ultra-Pure cross reference table in their blog. Hetman #11 maps to the Ultra-Pure Ultra-Light oil.

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/post/if-y ... -pure-oils
Thanks. That’s very helpful.
Steve
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Lucky for me I no longer own any horn that requires Hetman 15. It's great stuff, and I've never seen an acceptable substitute that works as well on worn out ball-and-socket linkages. For everything I use now ultra-pure looks to be suitable once my current Hetman supplies run out.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Baltimore Brass just published an ad (with a picture) stating that they are fully stocked in oils, including Hetmans.

"We are stocked full of oils! 😎
Yamaha valve oil, Yamaha trombone cream, Hetman, J. Meinlschmidt, Slide-O-Mix, Ultra Pure and more!
Order from our online store or stop by the shop!"
KWL

Post by KWL »

Mamaposaune wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:12 pm Baltimore Brass just published an ad (with a picture) stating that they are fully stocked in oils, including Hetmans.

"We are stocked full of oils! 😎
Yamaha valve oil, Yamaha trombone cream, Hetman, J. Meinlschmidt, Slide-O-Mix, Ultra Pure and more!
Order from our online store or stop by the shop!"
Looks like Baltimore Brass Co. does have #11 and #15 that some people have been looking for. It’s good to see some of the Hetman items getting back on the shelves.

I hope #12 and #14 will be available soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

If any of you have questions regarding Hetman availability shoot us an email/give us a call! If it’s on the site we have it, and I would wager in decent quantity as of this post.

[email protected]
410 744 1723
cjtam

Post by cjtam »

I used to get it from Hickey's and I think even Amazon a couple times, but it's definitely been harder to find. A friend told me about using "Blue Juice" trumpet valve oil as a replacement for Hetman #12, and its been working great so far on Thayers. I think it's worth checking out.
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

Glad blue juice is working out for you as a replacement. I would only note that blue juice is pretty thin as compared to Hetman 12. Depending on your valve this might be of benefit or not.

Too thin can be as unhelpful for valve reliability as valve oil that is too thick. Too thick is very obvious as it will feel gooey or slow. Too thin may feel great at first but not “hang” on the valve effectively to keep it lubricated over time.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I was at Bob Reeves Brass a few weeks back and they had a very good stock. There was one they were missing, but I forget which one. They had a few other brands too that were well stocked.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
asmith

Post by asmith »

Reach out the accessories manager at Chuck Levin's. His email is [email protected]
We have a lot of their product in stock.

Return to “Maintenance”