Efficiency?

How and what to teach and learn.
VJOFan

Efficiency?

Post by VJOFan »

There have been a few threads about, or that mention, efficient playing. Why waste words when there are things like this to see it in action? I can’t imagine more efficient playing.

tbdana

Re: Efficiency?

Post by tbdana »

Al is awesome. I knew him back in the 1980s and he was awesome (and efficient) back then. What a great player. You can call it efficient, I just call it correct. He plays correctly. And he has an embouchure to envy.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

However, Vizzuti's embouchure type is a very classic and perfect Reinhardt IIIB , which is not the same as the majority of players. Copying what he does is fine for another IIIB but would be a big mistake for most players who are IIIA's.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Usually I expect to see guys with great high range significantly curl in top and bottom before setting. It seems like that must put some kind of basic stiffness or tension into the set that does not depend on muscular strength. But Allen sets up more like most trombone players, as near as I can tell. Would be very interesting if he has talked about what goes on inside his mouth.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

There's another video recording of Allen doing this with Woody. Good stuff.

Sounds like a fun to to play. If I could play it on trombone. Which I can't. I hope it's fun for him. :cool:
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Not to mention his circular breathing for more than a minute (~5:30-6:37)! What a monster. :horror:
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Playing efficiently is about taking away things, not so much about adding things.

Take away any tension, incorrect posture (some of this is subtle), stop the shallow breaths habit, extraneous movement (embouchure, instrument, body).
Then there is mouthpiece and instrument analysis. Is the equipment right for the person? No? Take it away! I have personal experience with this, having struggled on a certain Bach 42B all through college.

Any of these points can be broken down into lengthy treatises but I won't do that here.
Embouchure analysis is a whole other encyclopedia to get into....
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Ran across this interview. Might be of interest to some folks here.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

When Arturo Sandoval is crushing on you, you’re probably pretty good!
tim

Post by tim »

I knew Alan when we were in high school in the same home town. His father sold me my 62h.
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

tim wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:50 pm I knew Alan when we were in high school in the same home town. His father sold me my 62h.
You probably knew John Wilson too? Another trumpet player from the same time and same high school, I think. I knew him in DC. Moved back to MT, died a few years ago.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
tim

Post by tim »

Oh yeah, I had forgotten him. He was with Alan at the other high school in town. We played together a lot at All State etc. Thevwe played in the college jazz band. As HS seniors
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"

Return to “Teaching & Learning”