Turning playable range into dynamic range

How and what to teach and learn.
Nolankberk

Turning playable range into dynamic range

Post by Nolankberk »

Hey all,

I've recently been able to get out a double f fairly cleanly, but I can only play up to a high d without A. Getting a very large breath before or B. Voicing the note on a lower octave first.
Does anyone have any exercises they use to make their range more consistent and comfortable? Thanks!
imsevimse

Re: Turning playable range into dynamic range

Post by imsevimse »

I just play chromatics. One octave. Increase, and take the scale up a halv step higher when ready. Play with dynamics up and down. This is how I increased my range and connected registers. When ready, then you do two ocaves, or three.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

imsevimse wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:57 pm I just play chromatics. One octave. Increase, and go a halv step higher when ready. Play with dynamics up and down. This is how I increased my range and connected registers. When ready, then you do two ocaves, or three.

/Tom
Thanks Tom. I'll try to manage some quieter high notes and get used to having to use a bit less air
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Play music up there.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Here are pages from the exercises I do. I do them from low Bb to double Bb. A scale up and down, followed by an arpeggio. Then up a half-step. Repeat all the way up.

Screenshot (23).png
Screenshot (24).png
Screenshot (25).png
Screenshot (19).png

Do it slow, then gradually do it faster and faster.

And when you get that down, start working on interval-scales, like going up F-A-G-Bb-A-C-Bb-D-C-E-D-F-E-G-F and then back down F-D-E-C-D-Bb-C-A-Bb-G-A-F-G-E-F. Do it in half-step intervals like the pages above. And do it with intervals other than thirds, too. Increase speed over time.

I find this develops the range, increases facility, and lets you play actual music up there rather than just hitting an isolated high note.

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Hey, I've seen those pages before!

(Check out the Marshall Gilkes Trombone Warmup video on Youtube. He plays those and a metronome flashes over the notes.)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Play scales starting at the top, descend, and come back.
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

tbdana wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:59 pm Here are pages from the exercises I do. I do them from low Bb to double Bb. A scale up and down, followed by an arpeggio. Then up a half-step. Repeat all the way up.

Screenshot (23).pngScreenshot (24).pngScreenshot (25).pngScreenshot (19).png

Do it slow, then gradually do it faster and faster.

And when you get that down, start working on interval-scales, like going up F-A-G-Bb-A-C-Bb-D-C-E-D-F-E-G-F and then back down F-D-E-C-D-Bb-C-A-Bb-G-A-F-G-E-F. Do it in half-step intervals like the pages above. And do it with intervals other than thirds, too. Increase speed over time.

I find this develops the range, increases facility, and lets you play actual music up there rather than just hitting an isolated high note.

Works for me. Your mileage may vary.
These are absolutely amazing this is exactly what is was looking for! Thanks so much

Return to “Teaching & Learning”