LA Lessons or Groups?

How and what to teach and learn.
minogue

LA Lessons or Groups?

Post by minogue »

Got another LA question! I'm new to the trombone and am looking for lessons or jam sessions where I can practice and learn from others. Any suggestions?
Burgerbob

Re: LA Lessons or Groups?

Post by Burgerbob »

There are lots of people to take lessons with in LA, in every style you can think of.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbdana

Re: LA Lessons or Groups?

Post by tbdana »

minogue wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:12 am Got another LA question! I'm new to the trombone and am looking for lessons or jam sessions where I can practice and learn from others. Any suggestions?
You are in Music Mecca. Opportunities are all around you.

When I was young and studying with Roy Main in L.A., I mentioned to Roy that I was thinking about going back east to study at Berklee or Juliard, and he asked me why. Then he proceeded to tell me that I was in L.A. with access to the best musicians in the world, and that my "school" was all around me, and that the best way for me to learn was to dive into the music world in L.A. and learn on the job from my peers and the masters who live and work here. Roy was right. From playing in "Hoyt's garage" to sitting in rehearsal bands, recording studios and nightclubs playing alongside my idols, high stakes opportunities to learn were everywhere, which were more immediate and more compelling than any music school could have given me.

Whatever level you are currently at, in L.A. there are wonderful opportunities to learn through formal lessons, rehearsal groups, peer groups, and gigs. Just dive in. Go to where people are playing and introduce yourself. To start, get yourself some lessons from a trombonist you admire, and pick his brain about places to play and learn and meet others. And then play everywhere you have the opportunity to play.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”