4 bones + rhythm

tbdana

4 bones + rhythm

Post by tbdana »

Can anyone give me links to some really good charts for sale for 4 trombones and a rhythm section? Are there any good charts, or any charts at all, with that instrumentation?

Help! LOL! :D
harrisonreed

Re: 4 bones + rhythm

Post by harrisonreed »

hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Capital Bones is 5 bones + rhythm. There was a guy named Bob Morris who arranged a lot of jazz and pop quartets with rhythm section. Bob's stuff was never published, and I don't believe he's alive any longer, so it's hard to say where you can find it.

But yeah, Hickeys.

Or if you are ambitious / adventurous you can wade into the morass that is Musescore.

I have a quartet that has recently taken a big step forward, and we're looking into live or electronic rhythm section. Are you currently playing with a rhythm section?

[added at a later time...]
My quartet has a great book of 120+ charts. We didn't build it overnight, and we "kissed a lot of frogs" on our way to what we have today (not everything was a score). We purchased a bunch of stuff outright like Robert Elkjer arrangements. Some stuff we found for free on IMSLP or other places. And we also have done some arranging for ourselves. The absolute best stuff was purchased from Hickeys (they bring piles of music to ATW every year, plus I spend time in the Finger Lakes now and then, besides their huge internet site). The next best stuff we arranged ourselves. After that come the free charts we found here and there. Maybe that gives you a clue where you should look.

If you have a real rhythm section, that kind of locks you in to certain styles. You can't take a break from Eye Of The Tiger to play Ricercare In The Twelveth Mode, for example.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougm

Post by dougm »

Check with Ben Coy <[email protected]>. He may or may not be able to help you.

Doug
Canmalott

Post by Canmalott »

Hipbone (Michael Davis) publish a lot of good charts many of which are on recordings. One I particularly like is ‘You Must Believe in Spring’
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Thanks! Lotsa stuff there. Any way to know what the charts are like before buying? I didn't see sample recordings or anything. Do you know which ones are best?
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

hyperbolica wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:41 pm
I have a quartet that has recently taken a big step forward, and we're looking into live or electronic rhythm section. Are you currently playing with a rhythm section?

If you have a real rhythm section, that kind of locks you in to certain styles. You can't take a break from Eye Of The Tiger to play Ricercare In The Twelveth Mode, for example.
Yup, a real breathing meat rhythm section. LOL! :D

The challenge I have is that the players are all pros and I have to pay them for each rehearsal, so I don't anticipate having time really to wade through charts to see if I like them. I just looked at the Hickeys link Harrison posted, but I don't see how I can look at the music or hear the tunes before purchasing. Is there any way to know what's good and what ain't?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

tbdana wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:12 am
Thanks! Lotsa stuff there. Any way to know what the charts are like before buying? I didn't see sample recordings or anything. Do you know which ones are best?
There might be some recordings up on YouTube. You have also mentioned working with a lot of very famous musicians in your posts -- are you still involved in the LA scene? Your colleagues might know which ones are good!
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:45 am
tbdana wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:12 am

There might be some recordings up on YouTube. You have also mentioned working with a lot of very famous musicians in your posts -- are you still involved in the LA scene? Your colleagues might know which ones are good!
I don't live in L.A. anymore, and haven't been involved in the LA scene in many years, unfortunately (though I'm happy not to live in L.A. anymore). Did you just kindly do the search for me and post the link, or do you know any of these charts?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I just posted the section in Hickeys that has 4 bones plus rhythm. They have up to 10+ I believe , and everything in between. I'd start with the Michael Davis stuff on there. He is very very good. Clean engraving, great ideas, and his stuff just makes sense.
jthomas105

Post by jthomas105 »

Here is a link to arrangements by Carl Lundgren

https://www.carllundgrenmusic.com/sheet-music

He arranged many of the charts for the Maniacal 4 trombone quartet and was one of the tenor players.
michaelpilley

Post by michaelpilley »

I've done a few, some are on my website: https://www.michaelpilleymusic.com/prod ... e-quartet/
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Christopher Bill used to have some in his patreon area. You could become a patreon member for a month $10 and download all the pertinent stuff. That would at least give you a starting point for some pop-ish tunes. Regardless of what you think of CB in general, some of his arrangements have been usable in my groups.
Canmalott

Post by Canmalott »

All the Michael Davis stuff for 4 bones +rhythm are good. Virtually all of the tunes are available on Davis’ recordings - Absolute trombone and Absolute trombone II. They are all worthy of a pro’s attention.

Jack Gale also put out a series of Jazz Quartets called Super ‘Bones Jazz Suite. Hickey’s do not seem to have them anymore. I did find them here: https://www.stantons.com/sheet-music/ti ... e-3/TQ116/

Although they do not have parts for rhythm, the chords can be found in this book of 24 Jazz etudes by Gale. https://www.hickeys.com/music/studio/un ... des-24.php

Basically Gale took his 24 Jazz Etudes (which are awesome for individual practice) and turned them into quartets.
I might suggest creating rhythm parts from the etudes book.
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

Scott Reeves is a trombonist and writer in New York City who sells some quartets from his website. A number of them are available on a cd by the Manhattan Bones. I knew Scott when I was living in the New York area and can vouch that he’s a quality writer. Check him out here: https://www.creativejazz.com/albums/arrangements-pdf
ericrich

Post by ericrich »

If you're open to *5* trombones (1 soloist + 4tet) and rhythm, here's my PANGAEAN GROOVE (commissioned by the Continental Trombone Quartet):

Good hunting!
ER
Eric Richards
Composer/Arranger/Conductor/Trombone
SoundCloud:
http://www.soundcloud.com/ericrich
ER Music Sampler on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... PGo37GZTIX
dershem

Post by dershem »

Jennifer Wharton's "Bonegasm" band is that, and they kick ass. John Fedchock does a lot of the arrangements.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Just heard Bonegasm in Cleveland last night. Incredible musicianship!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”