Help me find a mouthpiece!

Nolankberk

Help me find a mouthpiece!

Post by Nolankberk »

Hey TC,

I know mouthpieces are a personal "you have to try them" sort of thing, but I was wondering if somebody had any recommendations for a very weird mouthpiece.

I currently play a Marcinkiewicz ET5 mouthpiece. It has a very shallow cup, which I absolutely love, but the rim feels a bit too small for my mouth. The size of rim that feels appropriate for me is that of a 6 1/2 AL. If anyone has any MP models that somewhat fit those sizings, let me know. This is (as far as I know) a kind of eccentric combo, so I am open to recommendations for custom MP companies as well.

Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Help me find a mouthpiece!

Post by BGuttman »

A short conversation with Doug Elliott should get you where you want to be. He has a collection of cups and rims that you can customize to fit your needs. You can see what sizes exist on his Web Site, www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

BGuttman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:50 pm A short conversation with Doug Elliott should get you where you want to be. He has a collection of cups and rims that you can customize to fit your needs. You can see what sizes exist on his Web Site, www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com
This looks great, thanks
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

Also if Doug happens to stop by, do you have a general measurement for the cup depth of the ST A?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The A cup is very shallow
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My best guess would be an LT 100 C but Doug would know better. The Marcinkiewicz site shows the ET-5 as not that shallow. A 6½ AL rim is 1.00", which is Doug's 100.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The A is shallower than almost any available mouthpiece.
I would suggest trying LT 100 rim with an A or B cup. The backbore choice depends on the particular horn you play and you didn't say what that is.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Mouthpieces”