AI Rash

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
hyperbolica

AI Rash

Post by hyperbolica »

You all see a pattern of ridiculous questions or situations recently? The forum is being toyed with. I don't believe these are legitimate good-faith posts made by naive debutantes. I believe someone is just posting a lot of AI questions. A lost trombone? Mouthpiece jammed with wax being treated as a legit response? No shrug after comments about taking lessons from Gore Vidal or triassic waves from heated titanium? C'mon, you smell a bot, don't you?

We need a better way to flag this junk and I think need to be more proactive about removing it. People ask stupid questions, but it takes a machine to take that stupidity to the next level. I don't think playing along is the right thing to do.
ithinknot

Re: AI Rash

Post by ithinknot »

Agreed... though there have also been a couple recently that I assumed must be synthetic idiocy, but which 30s of FB stalking or email divination revealed to be genuine human nincompoopery. (Nor do we want to move towards a group behavior of pouncing on non-native English speakers.)

In general, though, I think the ban hammer could be wielded with greater extremity of prejudice... even when it might be a person. If it's that hard to tell, we won't miss them either way.

As always, thanks to Matt and co for all they're already doing.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:35 am As always, thanks to Matt and co for all they're already doing.
Adding my thanks to Matt and all the folks who keep TC up and running!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have generally tended to lean more towards human stupidity than AI stupidity. Sometimes the Noob questions can try ones patience, but we are a valuable resource for the beginners out there and they deserve forbearance. I realize that AI is getting smarter and sometimes can pull the wool over my eyes, but I'm not expecting to have to deal with that for long, living in a nursing home as I do.

I have disapproved a lot of posts clearly by 'bots that have no idea what they are posting to. I had one that posted a bunch of "hello" messages into discussions with real content. If you are unable to recognize the introductory threads as a location for "hello" messages, I won't approve your post.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

Gosh, if nobody's injured or insulted and they're not dominating the site, I think it provides a little humor to the oftentimes dead serious "Mr. Know it Alls" and "I know what I would do's" that come gushing out...besides today's world is full of inanity....which is preferable to insanity.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

henrysa wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:41 am Gosh, if nobody's injured or insulted and they're not dominating the site, I think it provides a little humor to the oftentimes dead serious "Mr. Know it Alls" and "I know what I would do's" that come gushing out...besides today's world is full of inanity....which is preferable to insanity.
AI?
cb56

Post by cb56 »

Didn't AL Rash play 3rd trombone with the Jimmy Dorsey Orch. Back in the 40s?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Ex-Kenton?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I brushed against an AI plant and now I have an AI rash :)
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I can add a flag for stuff that seems to be trolling, rather than spam. I often ignore a lot of stuff that doesn't interest me and so I might just not be seeing it. I completely missed the wax mouthpiece thread lol
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Put me on your troll list, Matt. I suggested the mouthpiece plug as a joke (even put a Smilie after it). I had noticed that a lot of the other replies weren't serious either.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”