Case deodorizing

Atherton98

Case deodorizing

Post by Atherton98 »

Does anyone have any tips on getting that bad mildew smell out of old cases? I've tried a combination of baking soda, febreeze, and sunlight and had decent results. I'm curious if there are any faster or more effective methods. Thanks in advance!
BGuttman

Re: Case deodorizing

Post by BGuttman »

One problem with mildew on a wooden case is the mildew is in the wood and very tough to get.

I've heard good results from putting the open case in a closed area with an ozone generator for a couple of hours. Many car detailers and body shops have ozone generators which they put inside cars being treated in the shop. If you can find somebody who ozones cars and will let you put your case inside while it is being treated, that could be an ideal solution.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Anyone ever try Pooph? It looks promising, but I've never had an occasion to use it.
etbone

Post by etbone »

JohnL wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:38 am Anyone ever try Pooph? It looks promising, but I've never had an occasion to use it.
It's works, with cat odor! :good:
Rivermusic

Post by Rivermusic »

Thank you for the ozone suggestion. I’ll try that method on a King case from the 40s.
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

Putting small bags of activated charcoal (after doing sun treatment etc) has helped.

I picked up one of these bags at Home Depot too - https://www.homedepot.com/p/OdoBan-32-o ... /318994859 and it seemed to help quite a bit.

We had a King case from the 70s that had a super strong mildew smell that a combination of the above, plus baking soda (that took a long time to vacuum out before it stopped showering baking soda every time the case closed... so beware if you use any sprinkle-in-and-vacuum-out powder stuff) - the activated charcoal bags plus the Odo Rocks thing seemed to help a lot.

The case is usable now. There's still a bit of smell, but it's very mild.

I couldn't find an ozone generator that was cheap enough to want to try.
flotrb

Post by flotrb »

I have a 1955 King Master Cornet in the classic "red alligator" case that I freshened up with:
Odoban.JPG
I got mine at Home Depot...especially liked the Eucalyptus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Trust...but verify)

Return to “Maintenance”