Kuhnl & Hoyer Bart Van Lier Trombones

jackyjazz

Kuhnl & Hoyer Bart Van Lier Trombones

Post by jackyjazz »

Good day. I’m new to this forum and to playing the trombone. I’ve been researching horns and was wondering if any members have experience or opinions on the Bart van Lier models. Thanks.
SubK

Re: Kuhnl & Hoyer Bart Van Lier Trombones

Post by SubK »

Hi jackyjazz,

Well, I played a K&H 527 for quite some time. In general I experienced the K&H (I tried others, too) as very responsive, it is a joy to play and are of a very high building quality.

Here's a review for a K&H .500 Bart van Lier that I found matching and comprehensive.

Hope this is beneficial for you.

Source: https://www.thomann.de/de/kuehnl_hoyer_ ... nickel.htm

This trombone is an excellent choice if you?re looking for a versatile all around horn for jazz, big band and studio work.

The sound of the horn is smooth and much bigger one would expect with ?500 bore. The horn is at it?s best when playing ballads, especially at upper register. Still it responses quickly on funkier stuff. I use this one on big band lead as well (with slightly smaller mouthpiece) and it works perfectly.

The technical quality is superb. If you compare this horn with American alternatives on the same price level (like King or Bach) it?s on a different level. Every single detail is made with precise craftsmanship. The outlook is just beautiful. Also the ergonomics have been taken care of. It?s very easy and light to hold and handle. The slide works very smoothly.

If you play only big band lead or if you are looking for brighter sound I suggest you check out the Kühnl & Hoyer Bart van Lier .480/88? first.

The only negative thing is that this trombone is delivered without a case. This is such a small detail that it won?t lower my full 5-star review.

This is the best trombone I?ve ever had. I can now play all kind of music I like with the same horn. I strongly suggest you will give Kühnl a chance too!
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

I recently purchased a K&H Bert van Lier with a nickel 0.480/0.488 slide and 7-inch (180 mm) bell, from Steve Ferguson. I haven’t bonded with an instrument like this since I had a Conn 88H in the early 1970’s. It replaces a King 2B that was run over in the case by a car or golf cart at a gig in September. I play lead in a 20-piece jazz band with it. The build quality is as good if not better than Shires. We were in the Xmas book and relatively small venues until recently. I am anxious to see how it does on the regular repertoire. It may be a little heavier than a 2B. I expect the sound to stay together up through slightly higher volumes than the 2B. It has retained good tone at very low volumes. Intonation is spot on. I don’t anticipate ever needing a part unless it sees abuse. I hope this one doesn’t get run over. It came with a semi-soft Protec case specifically made for it. It is as as light as a gig bag with very good protection. The case appears to have been designed by a packaging engineer. My past experience with Germans is that they will provide any required part at a reasonable cost, though perhaps on their time table. Two of my Yamahas required parts after 20 years. They are no longer in production and parts are no available from Yamaha. BVL trombones come in 0.480/0.488, 0.500, 0.508, and 0.527 bores. An f-attachment is available for 0.527 trombones. K&H also makes a medium ~0.525 bore horn and multiple 0.547 bore trombones. The street price is slightly higher than a YSL-897Z and lower than a Shires. Conn Selmer had better look out or they may end up empathizing with Mahomas after he played the Raiders today.
Last edited by OneTon on Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Is it less expensive to buy K&H in Europe than it is in the US?
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:23 pm Is it less expensive to buy K&H in Europe than it is in the US?
That depends on if you can get the VAT (value added tax) waved and what happens at US Customs. I let Steve Ferguson deal with importation. Or if you plan on staying in Europe with it.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I’ve tried a couple of the variants of BvL models and sat next to quite a few also. Very versatile and felt well made with excellent slides.
OneTon wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:11 pm I recently purchased a K&H Bert van Lier with a nickel 0.480/0.488 slide and 7-inch (180 mm) bell, from Steve Ferguson.
I’ve just ended up with something a bit similar on paper, though only the slide is from K&H. The 7” bell section is a circa. 110 year old ‘King’ by H.N.White, adapted to take the K&H slide. I might renew my interest in a K&H BVL horn, looking out for a bell section or a horn with a trashed slide.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

OneTon wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:36 pm
Bach5G wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:23 pm Is it less expensive to buy K&H in Europe than it is in the US?
That depends on if you can get the VAT (value added tax) waved and what happens at US Customs. I let Steve Ferguson deal with importation. Or if you plan on staying in Europe with it.
VAT is automagically waived if you export it from the EU (that's how VATs work...). US Customs will have to be paid, however.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I had several K&H come through Swisstbone. All of them had excellent build quality and were very efficient trombones. K&H seems to make particular efforts to create very ergonomic trombones - big bonus.

If you're afraid of buying in Europe, I may be able to help.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
SubK

Post by SubK »

MrHCinDE wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:01 pm I’ve tried a couple of the variants of BvL models and sat next to quite a few also. Very versatile and felt well made with excellent slides.
OneTon wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:11 pm I recently purchased a K&H Bert van Lier with a nickel 0.480/0.488 slide and 7-inch (180 mm) bell, from Steve Ferguson.
I’ve just ended up with something a bit similar on paper, though only the slide is from K&H. The 7” bell section is a circa. 110 year old ‘King’ by H.N.White, adapted to take the K&H slide. I might renew my interest in a K&H BVL horn, looking out for a bell section or a horn with a trashed slide.

Then this might be of interest for you?
http://www.brasseriehamburg.de/epages/8 ... cts/218895

They do have a K&H BvL Slide too:
http://www.brasseriehamburg.de/epages/8 ... cts/215862
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

SubK wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:38 am
MrHCinDE wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:01 pm I’ve tried a couple of the variants of BvL models and sat next to quite a few also. Very versatile and felt well made with excellent slides.

Then this might be of interest for you?
http://www.brasseriehamburg.de/epages/8 ... cts/218895

They do have a K&H BvL Slide too:
http://www.brasseriehamburg.de/epages/8 ... cts/215862
Thanks, I‘ll have a think, would still need a tuning slide and gooseneck which might be a bit more than I‘m willing to put into another small bore horn!

Nice looking slide though, I like the ergonomics of the curved hand brace on these. As mentioned by SwissTbone, K&H do put some efforts into ergonomic design.
SubK

Post by SubK »

I took a look at the K&H retailers list for the US and they list Dillon and the Horn Guys. Horn Guys have some BvL in stock.

https://hornguys.com/search?q=k%C3%BChnl

And those have very attractive price. I have not checked all. Example: K&H BvL 500 2575€ Horn Guys // 2929€ Thomann.
jackyjazz

Post by jackyjazz »

Thanks to all the respondents. I hope to try this horn soon.
rptbone

Post by rptbone »

Try Thomman USA. The VAT is not added to the price if shipping
to the USA.

Return to “Instruments”