Buying is so much more easier than selling :)

Spin your yarns here.
Wilco

Buying is so much more easier than selling :)

Post by Wilco »

Pfff… I am so much better in buying than selling :). I see something and think Why not? and buy it at an ok price. I know I will try to perfect once I own it. I will bring it to my tech to sort things out, be happy with it and sell it later. Whoever buys it will always get a much better item than how it was when I bought it.

Then selling…. Takes a long time…. And some folks just keep asking questions….. not judging but I am curious why asking questions with the objective to prevent you from buying??
BGuttman

Re: Buying is so much more easier than selling :)

Post by BGuttman »

People are very cautious when you ask them to part with their money. There are too many cases where an unscrupulous person will offer "vaporware" and we have no way to know in advance. Also, there are "tire kickers" who just want the pictures to look at and dream (they have no interest in buying). Then again, there are certain brands and models that sell and others that do not. Selling a Bach 42B? Lots of buyers. Selling a Benge 190? Not so many.

Getting a reputation as a reliable seller can eliminate some of the excessive requests for pictures from buyers. but you have to prove your reliability.

I haven't figured out a reliable method to vet buyers and sellers prior to placing ads yet. Any ideas?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:44 am People are very cautious when you ask them to part with their money.
Except when buying as the OP states. But isn't that always the art of it? Lining up the sellers with those who aren't cautious when asking them to part with their money, because THEY find it so easy to buy stuff.

I, OTOH, when I try to sell brass stuff I no longer need, have a completely different strategy. If I can't sell it using the normal outlets, I'll either at some point cart it off to the scrap collection (small bits, old mouthpieces) or contact some local music school and donate to them. They fall outside of the equation, inasmuch as they would buy if they had to money for used instruments, but don't, so can't buy. And it's pay-back of sorts, because I stumbled into a beautiful 4 valve compensating Besson euphonium for free from a music school that had closed it doors and just wanted to empty the storage room. When I got that and found I could get a minor in euphonium by playing a piece on it on my final exams, I did so. So got the horn and a degree for free, so to speak.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Buying is easy. Storing stuff is harder. Selling is impossible, so I try to give it away. Gave away a Conn 30 (or was it 32) a few years ago. I should do more of that.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

If I can't sell a horn here on the classifieds, I list it on FB marketplace/trombones for Sale, stating U.S. lower 48 only.
I get flooded with requests to ship it overseas, frequently central or South America, usually in Spanish. Almost never do I get a response from the U.S.
They may be scams, but I think players in other countries outside the U.S. or Europe just don't have the choices that we do.
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

baileyman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:53 am Buying is easy. Storing stuff is harder. Selling is impossible, so I try to give it away. Gave away a Conn 30 (or was it 32) a few years ago. I should do more of that.
It's a 32H from 1937, with a patina like an Inderbinen. I love it. Thank you! :hi:
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Mamaposaune wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:03 pm If I can't sell a horn here on the classifieds, I list it on FB marketplace/trombones for Sale, stating U.S. lower 48 only.
I get flooded with requests to ship it overseas, frequently central or South America, usually in Spanish. Almost never do I get a response from the U.S.
They may be scams, but I think players in other countries outside the U.S. or Europe just don't have the choices that we do.
I basically bought 2 of my last 3 horns in US having them shipped to Europe. Even within Europe I feel like there's not as much of a choice as in US and the prices are way higher. So it often is still cheaper to get something from US even with customs, taxes and shipping than buying a horn over here. Exception being you know the seller and you come to a good agreement for both sides.

I often also think it's a pity that many US sellers don't want to ship overseas. I've seen many good horns that caught my interest, but people didn't want to ship to Europe. Especially when you're searching for something special, eg. like a Williams, it's hard to find someone willing to ship it if it's not an acclaimed dealer. So, even in Europe it's not as easy.

If people would open up their sells out of US, I'm pretty sure it would be a lot easier to sell.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If people would open up their sells out of US, I'm pretty sure it would be a lot easier to sell.
Shipping internationally is somewhat complicated and it's expensive. Also, handling damage is uninsured and if the horn is damaged in transit basically there is nothing left but bad blood between buyer and seller. Most casual sellers in the US don't want the hassle of figuring out customs declarations, prepaid duties, and finding a reliable shipper from US to Europe. Add in Australia and it gets even worse.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Domestic shipping takes around 30 seconds to make a label and you can use FedEx, UPS, and others. They’re a little more expensive than USPS but not terribly so. With international shipping, I have to physically go in to get the form to fill it out.

I, personally, will ship internationally. But I can get why people wouldn’t want to.
muschem

Post by muschem »

Matt K wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:31 am With international shipping, I have to physically go in to get the form to fill it out.
FWIW - I've used Pirate Ship (https://ship.pirateship.com) for international shipping before, and it works well without requiring an in-person visit to fill out a form. It is UPS and USPS only, but the savings can be quite good.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

You aren’t the first person I’ve seen recommend that and I keep forgetting about it. I need to try that out the next time I ship. Thanks for the recommendation!!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Oslide wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:47 pm
baileyman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:53 am Buying is easy. Storing stuff is harder. Selling is impossible, so I try to give it away. Gave away a Conn 30 (or was it 32) a few years ago. I should do more of that.
It's a 32H from 1937, with a patina like an Inderbinen. I love it. Thank you! :hi:
Nice to hear. I would have never done anything with it.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Is it still available?

- yes

[…. and…. No follow up 😂]
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Wilco wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:12 am Is it still available?

- yes

[…. and…. No follow up 😂]
Buying isn't always easy either :biggrin:

Selling is so stressful, and to me, I just hate that some horns will never sell. I have an Olds Recording that I really love to play, but I have 3 or 4 horns in that range now that I also love to play. People make assumptions about certain brands of horns, and Olds is one that is always seen as "old junk". Horns like that are always priced way low, and people just don't realize what great horns they are. Anyway, I'll wind up keeping it, and playing it every 6 months or so, trotting it back out for the annual attempt. Nothing is more comfortable than a properly balanced Recording. Also, very few trombones are as beautiful as a nicely refinished one.
cb56

Post by cb56 »

Ha, There's an ad in a town 1 hour away from me asking $350 for a 3B with F in playable condition. I've sent 2 messages over 2 weeks and no response. No shipping since I'll travel to their house. No PayPal fees since I'd hand them cash......crickets....
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

cb56 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 am Ha, There's an ad in a town 1 hour away from me asking $350 for a 3B with F in playable condition. I've sent 2 messages over 2 weeks and no response. No shipping since I'll travel to their house. No PayPal fees since I'd hand them cash......crickets....
Sometimes life is very much like the cereal aisle at a grocery store. Lots of different kinds of flakes.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

cb56 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 am Ha, There's an ad in a town 1 hour away from me asking $350 for a 3B with F in playable condition. I've sent 2 messages over 2 weeks and no response. No shipping since I'll travel to their house. No PayPal fees since I'd hand them cash......crickets....
Probably sold quickly so seller has little interest in answering additional queries. :idk:
cb56

Post by cb56 »

Good reason to remove the ad

Return to “Tangents”