Lead Piece

MatthewErviti

Lead Piece

Post by MatthewErviti »

Im currently a junior in highschool and id like to say im not too terrible. Im in search of a new leadpiece that will just allow me to play higher easier which i know is not really how it works. Im still playing on a student model piece and im planning on going to a local store called Wartburton to try a bunch of different mouthpieces out. Any suggestions on a mouthpiece im looking at a King M21 and also Wartburtons Steinmeyer custom.
BGuttman

Re: Lead Piece

Post by BGuttman »

Junior in High School?

I wouldn't spend a pile of money on a mouthpiece. If you are currently playing a 7C or 6½AL you should be pretty near where you should be. A "screamer" mouthpiece like a 22E won't make the high notes that much easier and will wreck your tone down in the bass staff.

Spend some time on rangebuilding exercises. You will get more out of that than a new mouthpiece (and for a lot less cost).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
MatthewErviti

Post by MatthewErviti »

But i feel like the mouthpiece that im playing on give me some backpressure if thats the right term. My range is pretty decent and the music im playing goes as high as a D5 and personally i start to crack around F5. I just was told that a new mouthpiece could help with some of the pressure problems like for the mouthpiece to fit my face better I guess.
MatthewErviti

Post by MatthewErviti »

Also i do a lot of range building excercise so im glad to hear that'll help.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Generally more back pressure is better for high range. If you go into the store and ask for a "high range" mouthpiece they will give you something small that gives a lot of back pressure.

Your range sounds pretty good now. Are the parts higher than that? Are they asking you to play lead trumpet (on trombone)?

Also, what are you playing now?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

If you are a junior in high school already feeling comfortable on D5, don't focus on playing higher, focus on playing richer in all the registers. The range will come over time, but what will get you into places that will give you time to get to get those high notes is a beautiful, easy, and in control middle and low range.

The very high notes are fun, trust me I know, but they don't really lead to work or help win auditions. Now if Lead Trombone was a thing like Lead Trumpet is a thing... We could have a much different conversation. But it's not.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Well... I would disagree with that, having been there myself as both a lead player and 2nd player. Lead playing is very definitely a "thing". But ALL trombone players need to have a solid low range.

There is no such thing as a "lead piece.". It's whatever gives you what YOU need. That could be a 12C size, 6-1/2AL size, or a huge rim on a relatively shallow cup, which is what I use.

"allow me to play higher easier which i know is not really how it works.". RIGHT, that's not really how it works. Well sort of... But "conventional wisdom" which is VERY wrong, is that a small piece will make high range easy. For me, and for a lot of players, a small mouthpiece makes playing impossible.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
MatthewErviti

Post by MatthewErviti »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:44 pm Generally more back pressure is better for high range. If you go into the store and ask for a "high range" mouthpiece they will give you something small that gives a lot of back pressure.

Your range sounds pretty good now. Are the parts higher than that? Are they asking you to play lead trumpet (on trombone)?

Also, what are you playing now?
Sorry for a late response i got busy pretty sure im playing on a gold plated 6 1/2 AL on a yamaha student model i do really want to buy a new jazz horn cause of how nice my orchestral set up is but i do plan on moving mouthpieces soon i have a pretty ok low range and my high range keeps getting higher ive slowly been able to play higher and higher even on my big bore horn im getting pretty close to a high F comfortably but it varies on how my chops are feeling.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

The 6 1/2 AL is not a student level mouthpiece. There really is no such thing as a student level mouthpiece. Student level horns, sure. The 6.5AL is a classic mouthpiece that has stood the test of time and is used successfully by many professionals.

If you do want a mouthpiece that's a little more suited for high range playing, the 7C or 11C would both be excellent choices.

Return to “Mouthpieces”