RIP Alan Raph

Discuss the people that make the music here.
KWL

RIP Alan Raph

Post by KWL »

I haven’t seen this mentioned, but Alan Raph has died at age 90. While he had what seems to be a long, full life and influenced many bass trombonists, myself included, it seems way too early.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/ne ... d=53804454
DougHulme

Re: RIP Alan Raph

Post by DougHulme »

Sad day. As KWL says he was so influencial especially his study/rehearsal publications and an exceptional player himself... I must break out the Duo-Gravis in his memory... Doug
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

Mr. Raph was a true gentle man.
His Youtube videos of around 15 years ago give a good idea of how this giant of the trombone world came across in person. I had the privilege of interviewing him about the origin of the Duo Gravis at the location in the video. He was warm, welcoming, and unbelievably easy to talk to.

Here's one of those videos. Great info in it (he is doing all those low notes with a 1 1/2G!) but he really was as calm and focused on his listener in person as he is in the video.

Sad day indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNgZ1TK0h8Y
Last edited by boneagain on Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

I had the great pleasure of being a member of his Danbury Brass Band. Visiting Australia in 2004 to tour with the band was one of the highlights of my life. I learned a lot from him - he introduced me to a lot of music that I wasn't aware of, and he was a talented composer and arranger in addition to being a great mentor. I had seen him a few times this past summer as I was called back to sub with the band and he was doing very well.

RIP Alan.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Did the Raph exercise in tribute.
flotrb

Post by flotrb »

Had the extreme pleasure of meeting Alan at the 1st ITA - Nashville - 1971. I pulled out an old photo from then, but 50 years has clouded the names...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Front row, L>R: ???, George Roberts, Buddy Baker, Henry Romersa
Back row, L>R: Alan Raph, ???, Lewis Van Haney
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Trust...but verify)
KWL

Post by KWL »

The ??? In the back row to Alan’s left is Ernest Lyon. Ernie was a professor at the University of Louisville and a Remington student.
KWL

Post by KWL »

Bach5G wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:25 am Did the Raph exercise in tribute.
I finally bought Pat Williams’ LP “Heavy Vibrations” in his honor. A little more passive than your tribute.
Conoroo

Post by Conoroo »

Alan Raph's edition of the Bordogni vocalises was the first etude book I remember playing, and I still have my coffee stained copy from the 8th grade, with all my teachers' notes and my sloppy markings. God bless the man who's had such a lasting influence on trombonists everywhere!

Return to “Musicians”