Showmanship

AtomicClock

Showmanship

Post by AtomicClock »

Do you ever use extended positions just so the audience can see a big slide movement? The thought has crossed my mind more than once. Usually in a summer gazebo-type concert if I'm on the end.
JohnL

Re: Showmanship

Post by JohnL »

No, but I have chosen not to use my f-attachment when sitting next to a beginner playing the same part so as not to confuse them.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

On a tour I used to do, I would play I'm getting Sentimental in the spotlight. I would start the C# in 5th, partly for the "showmanship" and partly because it made smoother slurs going up that line. 5-4-#3-2-2 to the high C#.

And at the end of the phrase, F# to A in 6th before the repeat 5-4-#3-2-2
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

I've used 7th instead of closer positions at the end of phrases before - it feels like I'm reaching out to the audience, hopefully in an expressive way. We can't do much with our faces without interrupting the embouchure, and solo work is visual as well as music, so might as well take the chance!
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Showing that long slide has probably been a thing for a long time...

1615—Reggio Emilia
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Never. I try to play as efficiently as possible. To me the sound is what matters, not having the audience watch me flail around like a dying fish.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

JohnL wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:48 pm No, but I have chosen not to use my f-attachment when sitting next to a beginner playing the same part so as not to confuse them.
You're so nice. I'll sometimes play weird alternates just to mess with people playing the same part.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Yes, in children’s and pop concerts. I would play Yankee Doddle in F, starting on an in-staff C. I would always preface it by saying, “Playing the trombone is easy! [wink! wink!] All you have to do is move the slide back and forth!” Then I’d play something slow and pretty, and then something fast and loud. It gave them a demonstration of at least different types of playing: comic, lyrical, and technical.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:56 pm You're so nice. I'll sometimes play weird alternates just to mess with people playing the same part.
For me, it depends on whether they're young and still learning, or old and never tried to learn.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

tbdana wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:42 pm flail around like a dying fish.
That's the kind of comment I was expecting, but nobody else went there.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

It's a big leap from sometimes using 7th to flailing like a dead fish. It's possible to play for the audience and maintain efficiency. I see a lot of great trombonists who, when they play solos, stand stock still and never give anything to anybody to visual presentation. It always feels cold to me when I see that, even if the playing is quite good.

Now there's a line that can be crossed into pure acting and affectation, and that's too far, but if one is moving a little with the music in an honest manner, and showing that they also enjoy what they are doing, it really helps. People go to concerts to listen with their ears and also their eyes, which can take many avenues of expression. Otherwise we could just watch high quality speakers on stage.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Gotta know the audience and the situation, but yes.. one should have showmanship. Slide movements and fun? Absolutely… when appropriate.

Many moons ago, when I was studying with a professional symphony person, his view was that the trombones should appear very serious and very bored. I didn’t quite agree with that (and neither did his second or the bass trombonist in his section). My thought, if you don’t look like you want to be there and are enjoying it, why would I want to be there? I can listen to a likely better recording of most anything that is on the program at home on a very nice sound system… make the performance worth something.

Of course, one doesn’t want to completely spoil the performance with gags, but that is the knowing the group and audience part, choose carefully and have fun with things, life is too short to be boring.

Cheers,
Andy
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:56 pm
JohnL wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:48 pm No, but I have chosen not to use my f-attachment when sitting next to a beginner playing the same part so as not to confuse them.
You're so nice. I'll sometimes play weird alternates just to mess with people playing the same part.
I generally assume that other people in the section have something other on their mind than watching me. But even if they do manage to get a few looks in, I don't think they're swayed by it at all. Maybe because I'm almost always the only guy with the double-valve horn. :roll: Or they just assume I'm playing stuff wrong anyway.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:36 pm
hyperbolica wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:56 pm
I generally assume that other people in the section have something other on their mind than watching me. But even if they do manage to get a few looks in, I don't think they're swayed by it at all. Maybe because I'm almost always the only guy with the double-valve horn. :roll: Or they just assume I'm playing stuff wrong anyway.
I've seen people change the way they play a passage the second time after I use a 4th position D or F. Or maybe try out my way and switch back to their way. Part of it is I'm just practicing to make sure I can make the alternates match tone and intonation.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

See ... Yeah, those guys almost never try to play a 1st position D.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Performance”