Helpful tools for DIY stuff (stocking stuffer ideas)

ryebrye

Helpful tools for DIY stuff (stocking stuffer ideas)

Post by ryebrye »

I was thinking of getting these two things:

https://www.ferreestoolsinc.com/collect ... 7722005551 the N51B

and a small rawhide mallet - https://www.ferreestoolsinc.com/product ... 5218&_ss=r

To help with very basic mouthpiece repair for ones that get a little out of round. Yes, techs can do this very easily, but driving to the nearest tech is a pain.

Are there any other tools that might be good to have for someone to do basic DIY stuff but not looking to start a full repair shop?

Digital micrometer? Camera that can snake into a slide and inspect nooks and crannies?

If there are tools that can be readily 3D printed, I've got a friend who really likes to print stuff. Nothing comes to mind except maybe a little block to knock out and disassemble rotor valves for maintenance?
Bonearzt

Re: Helpful tools for DIY stuff (stocking stuffer ideas)

Post by Bonearzt »

The shank repair tools from Instrument Innovations is a must have me thinks!

https://instrumentinnovations.com/mouth ... air-tools/
Skip the Ferree's arbors you mentioned and get an extra tapered mandrel from II.
I have found that some shanks are too wide for the tapered tool so you need to cut a half inch off the end of the tool and file the edge down.

A good set of WIHA screwdrivers, and some smooth-jawed pliers.

You can make a small drift out of brass stock to drive out rotor valves from the stop arm, just file the end down to fit the shape of the shaft and stop arm.
On that note, a good set of mill smooth files is also good to have.

Micrometer and snake cam aren't must haves, just fun toys to have....
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

The shank repair tool mentioned above is a definite recommendation. Saved me at least one time shortly before a concert and also very handy just in generally. The great thing is that it's really easy to use and you don't usually need anything that's not included in the set.

I would focus more on a little variation on cleaning supplies than repair stuff. E.g. I can really recommend the Meinlschmidt Hydro Jet. Also silver and brass polish can be very handy obviously.

Some very fine steelwool can be handy. Repair techs, please don't kill me, but I have used it freely for difficult tuning slides on older instruments.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I like the Griego collapsible cleaning rod and Slide o Mix cleaning sleeves (blue and red).

The Yamaha lacquer cleaner/polisher stuff is also great.

For setting bearing plates, a couple different sizes of PVC pipe end-caps works great.
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

+1 for Slide o mix cleaning rods with towelling cover. Get the right size, red small, or blue large.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

StephenK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:01 pm +1 for Slide o mix cleaning rods with towelling cover. Get the right size, red small, or blue large.
I have two for my bass and one for my tenor. Love them. I also wash them as needed. They stand up.

Of course, a decent torch is good to have. 8-) I started out using a little Blazer butane torch. But when I decided to cut my 1924 tuba to A=440, I found an acetylene "B" tank at an auction and then got a regulator, hoses, a Goss handle, and several tips. I don't use the butane torch any more. :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Maintenance”