Slide/bell connection

etbone

Slide/bell connection

Post by etbone »

See photo. The male fitting, seems extremely short(about 1 inch). Issue with horn, fitting not tight enough, so bell/slide angle.... will loosen up during playing. Female fitting, bottoms out, at thread. Currently, use some plumbers teflon tape, to add some thickness/fiction. Horn in question, Getzen 1052
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Slide/bell connection

Post by Matt K »

Threads on either side might be worn. Getzen parts are typically not too expensive if you want to replace the tenon or the slide receiver. The tech would have to disassemble and reassemble the slide receiver portion which will cost probably more than you'd expect given that there are so many solder points in that spot.

The tenon looks right, it's shorter than Bach/Edwards length; it's a Conn length tenon.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah that tenon is correct for Getzen. It's probably due to chronic overtightening of the tenon nut ruining the threads.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

The threads don't matter. They're just insurance, they don't keep the horn together. Over time, the tenon will wear on the receiver (or the other way around) and they won't fit anymore. Easy enough to get a new tenon installed on the slide.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

etbone wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:17 am See photo. The male fitting, seems extremely short(about 1 inch).
Shhh...you'll give him a complex.

2 solutions: Replace the male tenon as mentioned, or have someone with a lathe remove the tenon, cut off one row of threads, and reinstall. Then it won't bottom out anymore.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I haven't tried this yet, but I got a copper brush plating kit to see it it's easy to add a tiny bit of metal to the tenon. My horn that's slightly loose like that responds well to simply painting the tenon with ink from a Sharpie.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Hmmmmm.
This problem seems to come up a lot on this forum.

Etbone, instead of the plumber's tape, you might try this adhesive coated aluminum tape:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-2-in ... pe/3012014
One layer, no overlap, surgically applied to the tenon with a razor blade.
Extremely durable solution. Expect the tape to last for many, many years. (It's real metal).
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I managed to solve a similar issue using an o-ring

/Tom
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

etbone wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:17 am See photo. The male fitting, seems extremely short(about 1 inch). Issue with horn, fitting not tight enough, so bell/slide angle.... will loosen up during playing. Female fitting, bottoms out, at thread. Currently, use some plumbers teflon tape, to add some thickness/fiction. Horn in question, Getzen 1052
Ok, so when you put the horn together, the end of the receiver (on the right) hits the threads on the tenon (on the left)? Or do you mean that when you tighten the lock nut it gets to a point and will not tighten anymore?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Tape and the like is a cheap quick fix and won't last. Get it fixed right.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
etbone

Post by etbone »

Thanks for all the info. My main question, was about the tenor length. Yes, previous owner over tightened, Receiver nut. Horn plays pretty well, as is, with the emergency fix. Will be having tenor replaced.
Happy holidays.

Etbone
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Rath has a different connection doesn’t it? Maybe Rath owners can weigh in.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:17 am Rath has a different connection doesn’t it? Maybe Rath owners can weigh in.
Rath uses a clamp system. Unlike some older designs (like on some vintage Olds trombones) where the mating parts are tapered (i.e., the connection is primarily friction fit) and the clamp provides an additional measure of security, on Raths the mating parts are cylindrical or nearly so and the clamp is the primary means of securing the connection.

Me, I look at that and worry about someone overtightening it, but I don't recall seeing any reports of that happening.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

etbone wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:05 am Thanks for all the info. My main question, was about the tenor length. Yes, previous owner over tightened, Receiver nut. Horn plays pretty well, as is, with the emergency fix. Will be having tenor replaced.
Happy holidays.

Etbone
The Getzen bass tenons have the Conn taper and they are rather short. Just measured an old Getzen bass tenon that I have in a parts bin. It is just several thousandths over an inch long…..very similar to yours.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
etbone

Post by etbone »

Thx, Brian, mine measures, exactly 7/8".

Return to “Modification & Repair”