Bach 42 Slide Connection

Landok

Bach 42 Slide Connection

Post by Landok »

Is it normal that the slide doesn’t screw all the way on some Bach 42s? I feel like there’s a gap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Crazy4Tbone86

Re: Bach 42 Slide Connection

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

My experience has been that most “newer” Bachs have about one thread showing when assembled. The connection will change with wear.

To my eye, yours is a little more pronounced than an average Bach. Acoustically, it should not make a difference because there is already a gap between the two components (there is a solution to that but it is a whole other subject). Ergonomically, it is probably stretching your hand to hold the instrument and adjusting it to fit might make things more comfortable.

If it bothers you, it is a quick adjustment for a technician. I don’t recommend that people do the adjustment on their own because things can go wrong and you can end up with a connection that has wiggle in it……that would not be good.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Landok

Post by Landok »

Thanks for your response. Yes I definitely feel the uncomfortability holding the horn. Playing wise, I feel like the response is not where it should be. I bought the horn last year and took it back after a week, but was told there’s nothing wrong with it. The first couple of weeks I had a hard time taking it apart to put in the case. I’ll definitely have some other techs Look at it.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

There are plenty of Bach's out there that just don't play well. I Really doubt the issues you're perceiving are related to the insertion depth of the handslide shank. I would suggest that it is more likely because of tension in the assembly somewhere, a bore anomaly that can't be seen from the outside, or a leak.

There is no "gap" inside the horn at that point. There is a step from the end of the slide, into the receiver, but the receiver taper continues inside until it reaches the valve knuckle, pretty much. The ergonomics are not going to change, either, even if the 1-2 mm adjustment is made. Look at the valve lever geometry/touch piece position, which can be adjusted to better fit your hand
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I've seen that before, and it shouldn't be a problem, as long as there is no deformation to the tenon or receiver.

I'd definitely have a GOOD trombone tech take a look at it to see if there are any issues that can be dealt with to improve your grip.

What kind of trombone had you been playing before? Bachs are kinda heavily built, so they can take some time getting used to.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Landok

Post by Landok »

I actually have a straight 42 and a king 4B I’ve been playing on. The straight 42 slide visually connects to my F attachment but definitely feel more so of a mismatch if that makes sense playing wise.

Return to “Maintenance”