Malte Burba worth reading?

Spin your yarns here.
RossM

Malte Burba worth reading?

Post by RossM »

Has anybody here read/experimented with Malte Burba’s books? Any opinions to share?

Thanks!
MStarke

Re: Malte Burba worth reading?

Post by MStarke »

I have NOT read any of the books (but might in the future), but in the past played with some of his (trumpet) students, had lessons with people who from my knowledge had some input from him and overall in Germany you get some exposure to his students and ideas. There are also some Youtube videos on his methodology, however mostly in German I think.

He does have some well-known students and from my knowledge has helped quite a few people through some sort of crisis.
While he of course has some long-term students, many people seem to have learned from him over a limited period of time and focusing on a specific issue.

From what I know his teaching is very technically focused. On average his students seem(ed) to have a solid technique, especially in terms of range and flexibility. Most at some point had another teacher to focus on music and sound. It seems to be a good addition to solidify some basics.
Also he is said to be a somewhat difficult character, but that's up to everyone individually.

Actually I think his writing is probably very valuable in technical terms and is said to be very much based on "real" science. For myself I kind of stay away from too much just technical stuff as it doesn't always help my brain.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
RossM

Post by RossM »

Thanks Markus!
I've heard of some well-known students of his(and his difficult character), which is what got me curious. I am a fan of David Vining's work because of the basis in anatomy and physiology, so sounds like I might enjoy Burba's writing too.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Yes, it might be good. Just not sure if it's at all available in English. Let us know what you think once you got it!
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
RossM

Post by RossM »

I may have to up my German practice on Duolingo then :lol: but yes I’ll report back!
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

I actually have an old, brief version of the Burba method, which is written in 3 languages (German, English, French).

I've been to a masterclass of Mr. Burba once and it was an interesting experience. I've had many lessons with different Burba students (mainly two). I, myself, have learned tremendously about how brass instruments and playing one works. I definitely wouldn't be playing at my current technical level that I have achieved with learning the Burba method. I definitely had a lot of embouchure problems that I've been able to fix thanks to the method. Of course there's still room for improvement, but it was definitely a life-changer for me.

It's absolutely not about anything music related. So if you want to learn more musical things, do something else. But for instrumental technique it's one of the best things you can do. There are for sure other methods that also work great, but this is definitely a great method and an underrated one outside of Germany in my opinion.
RossM

Post by RossM »

EriKon wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 am I actually have an old, brief version of the Burba method, which is written in 3 languages (German, English, French).

I've been to a masterclass of Mr. Burba once and it was an interesting experience. I've had many lessons with different Burba students (mainly two). I, myself, have learned tremendously about how brass instruments and playing one works. I definitely wouldn't be playing at my current technical level that I have achieved with learning the Burba method. I definitely had a lot of embouchure problems that I've been able to fix thanks to the method. Of course there's still room for improvement, but it was definitely a life-changer for me.

It's absolutely not about anything music related. So if you want to learn more musical things, do something else. But for instrumental technique it's one of the best things you can do. There are for sure other methods that also work great, but this is definitely a great method and an underrated one outside of Germany in my opinion.
That's good to hear about it! There is surprisingly little information on the internet(at least in English) about the method. I just assumed there would be more given that two members of mnozil brass studied with him.
Is this the book you have? https://www.editions-bim.com/malte-burb ... dy-to-blow
I've ordered a copy of it, so hopefully will get it in a few weeks!
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

RossM wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:51 am
EriKon wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:37 am I actually have an old, brief version of the Burba method, which is written in 3 languages (German, English, French).

That's good to hear about it! There is surprisingly little information on the internet(at least in English) about the method. I just assumed there would be more given that two members of mnozil brass studied with him.
Is this the book you have? https://www.editions-bim.com/malte-burb ... dy-to-blow
I've ordered a copy of it, so hopefully will get it in a few weeks!
Yes that's it! It's the old version, I think. There's definitely a newer version of the book which I also have. It's more detailed than the old one. But the main physics and principles are the same as far as I remember. The new version I haven't seen in English but seems like there is one:
https://www.stretta-music.de/burba-bras ... BJEALw_wcB
RossM

Post by RossM »

Awesome, that’s good to know of too!

Return to “Tangents”