Detroit jazz trombone teachers?

How and what to teach and learn.
davdud101

Detroit jazz trombone teachers?

Post by davdud101 »

I've been trying to get my body to do what I have in my head. I was gonna write a giant post about how I've been playing for x number of years, doing blah blah in music etc, but I figured I'll get more mileage out of just taking proper lessons. I think I need a trombonist to help me overcome/work through trombone-specific technical issues.

Any recommendations on some SE Michigan/Detroit-area jazz trombonists who do lessons? Especially someone with some recordings out there to get a sense of how they play?

(I've never had lessons and have never really searched for a teacher. No clue if there's some giant database or something but figured maybe I can bypass the difficulty of finding and vetting guy and get straight to the ones with a proven track record)

Thanks!
tbdana

Re: Detroit jazz trombone teachers?

Post by tbdana »

Just out of curiosity, why are you asking for a jazz teacher? Is it to learn to improvise? Or is it to learn technical things on the Trombone? If it’s the former, I would say not to worry about whether this teacher plays Trombone or not, but just to find the best jazz teacher in Detroit. And if it’s just to work out technical things on the horn, why the qualifier?
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

John Paxton. Plays a lot with Planet D Nonet and teaches private lessons. (I forget where at the moment.)
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
davdud101

Post by davdud101 »

tbdana wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:12 pm Just out of curiosity, why are you asking for a jazz teacher? Is it to learn to improvise? Or is it to learn technical things on the Trombone? If it’s the former, I would say not to worry about whether this teacher plays Trombone or not, but just to find the best jazz teacher in Detroit. And if it’s just to work out technical things on the horn, why the qualifier?

My goal is mostly jazz stuff (improv specifically. You are right that I can get the technical studies from any good teacher).
I figured someone whose bread and butter in jazz would be more aware of what specific things I need to work on to improve my improvisation skills. I have heard that majority (if not all) working pros need to be versed in both jazz and classical styles, so that may work out in my favor in any case :)
davdud101

Post by davdud101 »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:57 pm John Paxton. Plays a lot with Planet D Nonet and teaches private lessons. (I forget where at the moment.)
Thanks Andrew! I'll take a look :idea:

Return to “Teaching & Learning”