Lip Injury Advice

Invigoration

Lip Injury Advice

Post by Invigoration »

For a little bit of context, I am a sophomore in college getting an undergrad degree in performance. I play lead trombone in every ensemble at my college. I have also put myself through a rigorous 6 hour or so personal practice routine for the past 2-3 years. By personal practice routine, I mean this does not count ensemble rehearsal or performances. So some days I would play upwards of 10 hours in a day, or as little as 6 hours a day.

Now that I’m here, I realize I had not incorporated anywhere near enough rest in my routine, and that has already been adjusted for once I get my chops back.

A couple of months ago there was a weekend that I had 5 very demanding and full gigs. By the 5th gig, my chops were shot. By the end of it, I knew I had blown something in my chops because it hurt to play. I figured I would just take some time off for it to heal. I took two weeks off and it still hurt to play. I took an additional two weeks off and I could play for about 10-15 minutes before pain returned. I also noticed an uncontrollable trembling or shaking thing, especially when holding long tones and descending lip slurs.

I took another 2 weeks off and nothing had changed.

My prof told me to play for 5-10 minutes a day. I trust him and I’ll try that out for a little and see if it helps, but I am still extremely concerned about the health of my chops. Looking back at what I’ve done to myself and where I’m at now, I am very concerned about having a fully healthy embouchure and making a full and complete recovery. Is there any product or method that can be used to boost health or recovery to the embouchure? I already use Robinson’s Remedies products religiously.

I have also researched a ton into Embouchure Overuse and Embouchure Dystonia.

Do any of you that have experience with embouchure injury have advice?
Thanks so much.
Doug Elliott

Re: Lip Injury Advice

Post by Doug Elliott »

I do a lot of teaching by Skype. My specialty is fixing chop problems.

I see a lot of players who have gone down the "Embouchure Overuse and/or Embouchure Dystonia" route, and spent a ton of money, with no real change or maybe minimal improvement. It's a BIG business...

I typically get them playing pretty normally again, in one or two lessons.

Rest is important, but it's possible to put in a lot of playing time without problems if you're playing correctly for your face and do things intelligently. If you're doing anything wrong you will run into problems sooner or later. And then somebody who knows nothing about embouchure function will call it dystonia.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

Megumi Kanda talks bout something similar in this Trombone Corner podcast (around 28 minutes).
https://bobreeves.com/blog/megumi-kanda ... interview/
AtomicClock

Post by AtomicClock »

I just looked up Robinson's Remedies. It seems to be a line of products designed to reduce swelling. Given that swelling is the body's mechanism for healing itself, you might reconsider whether you really want to reduce it.

Apparently the sports medicine and coach bro people are reconsidering Rest/Ice/Compression/Elevation for the same reason.
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

I sometimes help brass players in video lessons, but since I learned what I teach from Doug I would suggest you start with him. He's quicker at finding and solving the issues than I currently am.
Invigoration wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:47 am I have also researched a ton into Embouchure Overuse and Embouchure Dystonia.
I have too and I would suggest you take what you've read about those with a grain of salt. It would take too long to go into what I see as the flaws in most of the web sites and legitimate research on that topic. Basically, it's best to learn how your injury came about in the first place and correct your technique so that you can avoid making the same injury later.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

A big box of salt.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Performance”