Olds Trombones

chouston3

Olds Trombones

Post by chouston3 »

Does anyone else regularly play on an FE Olds trombone as their main horn. I play on an Olds Super but I do not see them mentioned much.
OneTon

Re: Olds Trombones

Post by OneTon »

I play on an Olds Super for circus and outdoor jazz. It is as good as my other equipment. Weight gain and age increased the diameter of my neck. The slide width is small and uncomfortable. So it isn’t in the daily driver rotation.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I have one (a '47 Olds Standard), but I almost never play tenor. However, on occasions that I have played it in a group, my feeling was that it didn't seem to "blend" particularly well with more modern trombones. Luckily, in the groups I was playing it in, that hardly mattered.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/110 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I play an open-wrapped Olds P-24G as my daily driver in a community orchestra and two community bands, and usually some flavor of Olds S-20/S-23-ish for Bones West (playing 4th trombone on pieces with 5-6 parts). On those rare occasions when I get to play small tenor, it's either a P-16 (if I have to blend with other makes of trombone), a P-15 (if I don't need to worry about blending), or an R-20 (if I need an f-attachment).

But none of this if for paying gigs. I don't know of anyone around here who uses an Olds tenor on a regular basis for paying gigs. I did once run into a freelancer down San Diego way who was playing a re-valved P-24G regularly.
JetMech

Post by JetMech »

I just got my Olds Custom back from getting the slide dialed in and I fully intend to integrate it into the mix. It's just a really nice, effortless horn to play.
-Lane
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

chouston3 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:34 pm Does anyone else regularly play on an FE Olds trombone as their main horn. I play on an Olds Super but I do not see them mentioned much.
I really enjoy my Recording, although it's not a daily player. The Super is pretty small. Most people going that small have a King 2b or a Bach 6.

If you like it, it doesn't matter what other people think.
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

Ben Patterson played one in the Airmen of Note for his time there and sounded great. I am certain he continues to both play it and sounds great after he has left the band.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I use an Olds R-15 Recording (0.495"/0.510" bore) and an Olds T-15 Studio (0.485"/0.500") in regular rotation with my Dixieland ensemble. Both are a joy to play, no need to blend with other trombones. Especially fun to play with our lead player, who brings a different pair of often "historical" instruments (trumpet & cornet) from his large collection every week!

And I'd be willing to bring my Olds O-25 (0.554" bore) to an orchestra gig. (Did it years ago quite successfully. Must try it again.)
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:32 pm I use an Olds R-15 Recording (0.495"/0.510" bore) and an Olds T-15 Studio (0.485"/0.500") in regular rotation with my Dixieland ensemble. Both are a joy to play, no need to blend with other trombones.
How cool! This is exactly me, on 3-horn section gigs.

I have a BEAUTIFUL closet 1955 Recording with counterweight that I play with a Minick mouthpiece and a 1949 Studio with counterweight that I play with a Marcinkiewicz 12 (yeah I'm proud of having 2 Olds counterweights). I can never decide which one I like better, but I like them both more than a Super I used to have. They both blend immaculately with trumpet, which is why I love them. They are not as easy to play as comparable Kings or Williams that I have, or as easy as the Holton 65 I bought from Ben Griffin, which I attribute to the dual bore design of the Olds. Dual bore horns are just quirky at baseline. But I still prefer the Olds for the work I do.

Olds = BIG and CLEAR. Or "Robust; precise", as John Wick would say. A wonderful combination.

I tried an Olds Custom P-16 fairly recently but didn't like it as much (although it was a good horn). Played more like a Bach than the other Olds I've tried. I'd love to try a Radio one day; the engraving alone is sexy enough I'd want to check it out (see JohnL's website for good photos of Olds horns).
TromboneMonkey

Post by TromboneMonkey »

Edit: duplicate post deleted.
Last edited by TromboneMonkey on Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Craig Considine from The Allmighty Senators played a Super for a number of years, he’s since moved on to a Bach
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

ghmerrill wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:56 pm I have one (a '47 Olds Standard), but I almost never play tenor. However, on occasions that I have played it in a group, my feeling was that it didn't seem to "blend" particularly well with more modern trombones. Luckily, in the groups I was playing it in, that hardly mattered.
I have the same experience with my S-15,. If I remenber correctly I have three Supers, one silverplated and two brass, one is in perfect conditon like new. They play great but do not blend well with modern horns, they have a too dark sound, at least when I play them.

The R-15 I own is different and blends better. But I choose other horns every time, so not my favorite horn compared to the many Conns, Kings and Yamahas

/Tom
JoshE

Post by JoshE »

I play an Ambassador A-20 with a DE setup and have yet to be held back by it. Granted I'd say I'm just an advanced hobbyist, but I've played about a dozen musicals on it and have done well for myself, provided I've put in the work

Return to “Instruments”