Does De-Sensitizing Toothpaste Affect Chops?

Spin your yarns here.
Jimmbo

Does De-Sensitizing Toothpaste Affect Chops?

Post by Jimmbo »

Hi, all

I have gum problems. My dentist prescribed toothpaste that de-sensitizes them.

Has anyone experienced playing problems from this stuff (e.g. desensitized lips, tissue changes, etc)?
Dennis

Re: Does De-Sensitizing Toothpaste Affect Chops?

Post by Dennis »

Probably not (barring an allergic reaction or other sensitivity to one of the excipients in the toothpaste).

I've got a receding gum on one of my molars, and had to switch to Sensodyne. I asked my dentist about definitive treatment (a gum graft), because I've had good success with my baking soda/peroxide regimen. She said I hadn't reached the point where a periodontist would do the surgery (or my dental insurance cover it). Sensodyne has two main formulations. One is based on stannous flouride (Tin[II] fluoride, SnF_2), which is the active ingredient in many fluoride toothpastes. So, if Crest (as an example) doesn't bother your chops, an anti-sensitivity toothpaste using stannous fluoride should not, either.

The other Sensodyne formulation is based on a 5% (W/W) solution of potassium nitrate (KNO_3). The mode of action here is that the potassium loads into the dentin tubules and reduces the sensitivity of the nerves in the pulp to heat and cold. Your epidermis is not going to take up much potassium in the four minutes a day you are brushing your teeth, and the facial muscles are well below the dermal layer.

There's no plausible mechanism for either active ingredient to affect your embouchure.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Is the toothpaste your dentist prescribed supposed to desensitize you gums? Or your teeth?
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I have, and stopped using it. It was several years ago so I forget some details, but started noticing that my lips felt a little sore on the inside and numb, possibly even a bit swollen. It definitely affected my playing.
I have had similar issues with tarter control toothpaste, or brands with peroxide and baking soda.
I now stick with a mild toothpaste like Colgate regular or Pepsodent.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

JohnL wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:06 pm Is the toothpaste your dentist prescribed supposed to desensitize you gums? Or your teeth?
Teeth. If you want to desensitize gums you'd use topical lidocaine or xylocaine or some other local anesthetic, and that would have some chance of spreading to the sensory nerves with obvious adverse effects on the embouchure. The action mechanism for stannous fluoride is ineffective on epidermal tissue, and the potassium nitrate effect would dissipate when the potassium ion concentration went down at the synapse. That assumes that the toothpaste could effectively get potassium to the neuromuscular junction and synapses.

None of this addresses the excipients (added inactive ingredients) and your reaction to those compounds. Like Mamaposaune, I can't use tartar control toothpastes (particularly Colgate's). Baking soda and peroxide (and baking soda/peroxide toothpastes, too) work to increase dentin sensitivity, which is why I had to change my regimen or accept a hypersensitive first molar in my upper jaw.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I’ve used Sensodyne for many years and never noticed any affect on my playing. Likewise with Perodontax for bleeding gums.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Kbiggs wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 pm I’ve used Sensodyne for many years and never noticed any affect on my playing. Likewise with Perodontax for bleeding gums.
Yes, me too.

Return to “Tangents”