Masterclass Etiquette

How and what to teach and learn.
Briande

Masterclass Etiquette

Post by Briande »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question or not. There is a Masterclass this month at Michigan State University with Christian Lindberg. I'm an amateur (community bands, etc) but plan on attending. I've never been to a Masterclass before with a musician. Do I bring my trombone? Or is it a some bring it some don't situation? Or are they usually just listen and learn?

Thank you.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
BGuttman

Re: Masterclass Etiquette

Post by BGuttman »

That really depends.

If you haven't been asked to play for the master class, don't plan on being evaluated by the maestro. Mostly, promising students at the school will be asked to play for him.

Sometimes a master class will have a group play-in. If you know this will happen, by all means bring your trombone.

If there isn't supposed to be a play-in, leave the horn home and bring your ears (and maybe a secretive recording device).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Odds are there are a few college students that have been selected to play for Christian. You'll sit and listen to them play as he works with them in kind of an open lesson format.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Briande wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:57 pm I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question or not. There is a Masterclass this month at Michigan State University with Christian Lindberg. I'm an amateur (community bands, etc) but plan on attending. I've never been to a Masterclass before with a musician. Do I bring my trombone? Or is it a some bring it some don't situation? Or are they usually just listen and learn?

Thank you.
You could have him sign your case, like people do in Korea and Japan. The whole audience was full of people with their trombone cases at the concerts I saw of van Rijen, Alessi, and Lindberg in those countries.

Wow, is Lindberg playing a concert too?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The typical master class is the presenter going through several students and picking out various topics to work on. They might only spend a few minutes on each student. Sometimes with a selected solo or excerpt or sometimes its whatever the student brings. Typically informal, but also potentially embarrassing if you haven't prepared.

The master classes at ATW the last several years I've been there can take on a different vibe like a group warmup, a lecture on a couple of specific topics, possibly even a demonstration, or it might involve some Q&A.

Bring your curiosity and questions, but maybe also have your horn in the trunk just in case.
Briande

Post by Briande »

Thanks everyone! I'll plan on bringing my ears and something to write on.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Don't be embarrassed to ask whomever is organizing the event (someone on the faculty at Michigan State, I assume) how the class is going to proceed. Just shoot them an email, tell them you're a community band amateur and enthusiastic about coming, but you don't know the protocol. They should be happy to tell you, and then you'll feel more comfortable. But no ... you're not going to get to play. Think of it more as a spectator sport.

I've probably been to five master classes in my life: Sigurd Rascher (in my late teens), James Galway (I took my daughter when she was 14), and two by Oystein Baadsvik. The one with Galway was the most entertaining (and the largest, by far) -- at UNC/Chapel Hill. It was way past my flute-playing days, but my daughter loved it. The ones with Baadsvik were very good and informative, and he gave very direct advice to the students who played at the class (e.g., "That mouthpiece is way too big for you -- and for most people.") and offered some really good insights. The one with Rascher was interesting primarily because ... well ... he was a very weird guy.

Oops ... Left out Patrick Sheridan (tuba) -- also a great experience.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

FWIW, Lindberg is is extremely kind to the students in masterclasses, and is at the same time a stickler for pitch. He has some of the best ears on the planet. I'd listen for what he has to say about playing with the piano, shaping musical lines, and playing on pitch.
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

I attended one given by Peter Moore a few years ago. As indicated, selected students will play prepared pieces, in all probability. You might have some variability in the standard of the students, it's interesting to hear what is chosen to play. Also you might get a chance to ask a question, so be ready if you have one.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”