Is there a Protec case for a 70h?

MrLong

Is there a Protec case for a 70h?

Post by MrLong »

I’m looking for a case for my 70H. I’ve been using a heavy Bach coffin case and I’m over the weight of that case. I tried the Protec MX309CT and my slide is too long. Is there a hard case <$200 that would work?

I’ve attached a pic of the side tenon in the case. I’m considering cutting out a bit of the foam to make the slide fit (picture attached).

I am a casual player and cannot justify an expensive case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. Long, a.k.a. Jeff
ithinknot

Re: Is there a Protec case for a 70h?

Post by ithinknot »

Double check that the length isn't also leaving the mouthpiece receiver too close to the bell when the case is closed, but if that's not an issue then I'd just modify this case - it's not a big deal.

You might also be able to buy a little extra room or split the difference by cutting out a dimple for the slide bumper at the opposite end of the case.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I use a Protec MAX bass trombone case for my (long slide) Conn 71H. Fits the slide snugly but safely. No issues that concern me.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Old King coffin cases are long enough if you can find one.
MrLong

Post by MrLong »

I ended up cutting the foam to create relief for the tenon. Once cut, I covered the foam in a black fabric similar to the case fabric. It’s not perfect, but it works. I still need to clean up the excess glue in spots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr. Long, a.k.a. Jeff
cb56

Post by cb56 »

I found a Protec soft case that fit the slide on my 78h. The first one I bought wouldn't fit.
I bought from sweetwater and all I had to do was send them the measurements.
Did a similar surgery on a banjo case where the neck support was for a resonator banjo and mine is an open back. Chopped the styrofoam to lower the neck support and glued the excess material back on. 12 or so years later it's still holding on.

Return to “Accessories”