Hand Carry Gig bags

JonTbone

Hand Carry Gig bags

Post by JonTbone »

Need help in finding travelling trombone gig bags which are approve to hand carry into international flights
Please suggest!
BGuttman

Re: Hand Carry Gig bags

Post by BGuttman »

What kind of trombone do you need to carry on?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Re: Hand Carry Gig bags

Post by harrisonreed »

There is no such thing as a failsafe carry-on gig bag. They have the Cronkite flight bag, which is probably the most compact option when you separate the slide and bell bags, but there is still no guarantee that you will be allowed to carry that on the flight. In that case, your handing over your trombone in a soft bag to a baggage handler who will be slamming it with the other gate checked stuff under the plane. You will notice that the new Cronkite company doesn't even pretend that the old flight bag is meant to go on a plane -- the new page barely mentions air travel and links to instructions from a different brand of bags for flying with horns, with tips like "use a torpedo bag" and "have $50 ready to bribe the flight attendant":

https://glenncronkhite.com/product/trom ... avel-cases

When flying, your best bet is to use a case like "The Tank". Gig bags are a roll of the dice without even putting flights into the mix. You can even check your gig bag or case, stuffed with clothes, mutes, or whatever, so you have it when you land.

http://the-tank.us/instrument-cases/trombone-cases/

I've flown these routes with the Tank, with no damage to my horns despite the outside of the case taking a beating:

Alaska to DC
DC to Seoul
Seoul to Colorado
Colorado to Tokyo
Tokyo to Texas

If you can fly JAL or ANA, then you can fly with the normal hard case because they will put your instrument into a flight case and handle it with care. I have flown all over Japan, even to Mongolia this way.

Return to “Accessories”