New at bass trombones.

How and what to teach and learn.
BlackMasquerade

New at bass trombones.

Post by BlackMasquerade »

Hello everyone, this is my first time using this site as of current. I am a novice player, as I have yet to graduate or take extended amounts of time to practice myself. Recently (around one year ago), I got my hands on a Bach 50BO single trigger bass trombone, I have already figured out the trigger positionings, but I am struggling with getting a grasp on how to properly play it, and have just been using it as a regular trombone. I was wondering if anyone had tips on this model, as I could not find any extensive information online aside from the official Bach description.
Thanks! :hi:
Posaunus

Re: New at bass trombones.

Post by Posaunus »

Have you considered a lesson with a bass trombonist?
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

Bach 50s were the standard bass bone for a long time.
You need to play a bass trombone differently to a tenor!
Practice pieces you know on tenor, but take it down an octave. Hymns are a good way to start.
Do flexibility / sluring studies. Start in 1st (Bb) and go down in semitones until you're in T7 (C).
Play scales in the bottom register. Try going to the tonic between every note. Bb- C - Bb -D - Bb etc
Agree with getting some lessons with a bass trombone player.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
BlackMasquerade

Post by BlackMasquerade »

Pezza wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:11 pm Bach 50s were the standard bass bone for a long time.
You need to play a bass trombone differently to a tenor!
Practice pieces you know on tenor, but take it down an octave. Hymns are a good way to start.
Do flexibility / sluring studies. Start in 1st (Bb) and go down in semitones until you're in T7 (C).
Play scales in the bottom register. Try going to the tonic between every note. Bb- C - Bb -D - Bb etc
Agree with getting some lessons with a bass trombone player.
Thanks for the tips, will try to see if playing lower registers will increase fluency with the trigger & sound.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Try the Allen Ostrander book (assuming it's still in print). Basic exercises for a single trigger bass.

But, yes, lessons with a proper player will be the fastest way to get there.
TomInME

Post by TomInME »

Yes lessons, but until then long tones with crescendo up to FF and back down to mp, with a focused and resonant sound, will do a lot.
(still does, for me)
nateaff

Post by nateaff »

The same things that make you better at any wind instrument, long tones, scales, long tones, long tones and long tones!
weyandt

Post by weyandt »

In my opinion almost just as or more important to long tones, is finding Bass Trombonists sounds you like and aspire to. Think and strive towards that sound while playing your long tones will go a lot further
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

sf105 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:25 pm Try the Allen Ostrander book (assuming it's still in print). Basic exercises for a single trigger bass.

But, yes, lessons with a proper player will be the fastest way to get there.
It is - ask least a downloadable PDF version that takes an eternity to print out. And it's a good book for single valve melodical exercises. Since I'm a "musical" guy, not wanting to do any exercises that are not musical in content, it fits right into my daily routine - not the whole book, just 3-5 exercises/day.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."

Return to “Teaching & Learning”