Large Bore to Small Bore Mouthpiece Adapter

Layne

Large Bore to Small Bore Mouthpiece Adapter

Post by Layne »

I play on a Schilke 51c4 Gold Rim/Cup large bore, but I want to use it on a small bore straight trombone that I own for my schools jazz band. I'm pretty sure they make this mouthpiece as a small bore, however I would prefer to not spend another $160 if I don't need to. I looked up mouthpiece adapters for trombone but they are all small to large bore, does anyone know if large to small bore adapters exist, and if so where I could get one?
BGuttman

Re: Large Bore to Small Bore Mouthpiece Adapter

Post by BGuttman »

Only way to fit a large bore mouthpiece in a small bore horn is with a good sledge hammer :evil:

Just think about it. The mouthpiece shank is too large. Any adapter is going to add thickness to the shank. What good would that do?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Layne

Post by Layne »

Any old sledgehammer would do it or do I need a specific kind?
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Even if such an adapter existed (thus violating the reality of geometry) the 51C4 mouthpiece (yes, a small-shank version exists) would not play the same in your small-bore trombone. it's probably time to start thinking about a new small-shank mouthpiece that's more appropriate for jazz tenor. You can find good ones (think used if necessary) for a lot less than $160!
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

If you like that rim size, a Schilke 51B would be more appropriate for small tenor playing, depending on what part you'll play in jazz band.

A large to small adapter, if it existed, would add enough length to make the horn too flat.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino, Perantucci PT-84-S
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Layne wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:55 pm Any old sledgehammer would do it or do I need a specific kind?
:shock:
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Layne wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:55 pm Any old sledgehammer would do it or do I need a specific kind?
2 pound. Hickory handle. Ensure that the face of the hammer head is smooth to 63 aa or better. Hit it like you mean it: No love taps.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

51b small shank mouthpieces are available And in stock at mouth express for $91.25. A slightly smaller mouthpiece is the Schilke 47. Also $91.25. Also in stock. It is 0.026 inch smaller in cup diameter and slightly smaller diameter throat. It was characterized as a valid choice for YSL-697Z by Al Kay.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Kevbach33 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:27 am If you like that rim size, a Schilke 51B would be more appropriate for small tenor playing, depending on what part you'll play in jazz band.
The 51B is a different rim shape than the 51C4.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

OneTon wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:53 am
2 pound. Hickory handle. Ensure that the face of the hammer head is smooth to 63 aa or better. Hit it like you mean it: No love taps.
I got my sledgehammer at Harbor Freight. Make sure you get the tenor model - the bass is too large!
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Too close for missiles . . . Switching to . . .
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

JohnL wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:47 am
Kevbach33 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:27 am If you like that rim size, a Schilke 51B would be more appropriate for small tenor playing, depending on what part you'll play in jazz band.
The 51B is a different rim shape than the 51C4.
I've experiemented with multiple 51Bs on everything from .485" to .562" horns - never had luck with it on anything smaller than .522s/525s. Rim is also different than the 51C4...

Faxx 6.5AL might be a place to start...

I'd hate to think what a large to small bore adapter would do for pitch. :shock:
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I'd be happy to send Layne a small-bore Schilke 51B. I'm done with it - never found it to be useful even for a medium-bore tenor, much less a small-bore jazz horn. It's nothing like a 51C4 (which is also too large for jazz).
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Posaunus wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:56 pm Even if such an adapter existed (thus violating the reality of geometry)...
"There are more things in heaven and Earth, ... Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

shankadapter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:05 pm
Posaunus wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:56 pm Even if such an adapter existed (thus violating the reality of geometry)...
"There are more things in heaven and Earth, ... Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
shankadapter.jpg
O.K. I guess that's a physically viable adapter. That effectively extends the slide about 2 inches. How does it sound on a jazz tenor trombone with a 51C4 mouthpiece? My philosophical dream has become a nightmare!
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:27 pm O.K. I guess that's a physically viable adapter. That effectively extends the slide about 2 inches. How does it sound on a jazz tenor trombone with a 51C4 mouthpiece? My philosophical dream has become a nightmare!
I think if you put something like this on a tenor trombone it would play a bit flat, and it would be difficult or impossible to correct for that. I think that in general adapters are not the way to go.

This adapter is for a standard American shank tuba mouthpiece to what's often referred to as "small European" receiver (which is close to -- but not identical to -- a trombone "large shank"). It extends the leadpipe for only 1.25"(half of it goes fully into the original receiver). Matt Walters at Dillion Music used to make them. I strongly suspect this is the last one that was made. Denis Wick makes a couple of tuba mouthpieces with the old shank, and so people ending up with old tubas often try to use those. Sometimes they work. If they don't, people look for alternative approaches.

As to how it sounds ... It works. On a tuba (specifically my 1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb) the pitch was altered negligibly -- just as you'd expect to find with a slightly longer leadpipe. I played with it that way for some years, and then a couple of years ago decided to try to make that horn really useable by replacing the receiver. I'd already cut it down from A=435 to A=440, but it wasn't quite right.

So I finally pulled the old receiver off it and put on a standard US one I'd bought and had lying around for years. The horn is quite playable now using a Kelly 25 mouthpiece. It's only remaining problem is that 3rd valve combinations tend to be mildly to significantly sharp. So I made the 3rd valve slide into a simple hand-operated "kicker". Not the greatest tuba in the world (and never was), but it's a lot of fun to have and to play (on occasion). When I bought it ($250), it was black with tarnish and looked like someone had, at various times, taken a baseball bat, a BB gun, and an axe to it. Most of that is no longer visible and it shines -- with it's original 2 or 3 layer thickness silver plating.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Mouthpieces”