Old Beversdorf Mouthpiece Info

bigtrbn

Old Beversdorf Mouthpiece Info

Post by bigtrbn »

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but "old" to the trombone.

I have recently taken a look at a vintage 88H for a friend. The horn was his father's who taught in the midwest decades ago.
One curiosity in the case was a mouthpiece marked "Beversdorf. " It is a small shank mouthpiece with an adapter on it to fit it in the H. The blank is the sort of classic Bach shape and the marking appears to be made with a meta etcher sort of tool. So not stamped, but almost cursive looking. No number.

I am aware of who Thomas Beversdorf was and even have a Giardinelli made Beversdorf small from the '70's.

But I am curious about this mouthpiece. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

Thanks,
Rusty McKinney
Dennis

Re: Old Beversdorf Mouthpiece Info

Post by Dennis »

Beversdorf was a polymath. In addition to being the #2 trombone teacher in North America (behind Emory Remington), he was a composer (I've played two of his symphonies), played most brass instruments, and designed mutes and mouthpieces, and made his own prototype of mouthpieces and mutes. One of my teachers studied with Beversdorf as an undergrad. He said that Beversdorf had an 8D horn and whatever the Connstellation trumpet and cornet models were hanging in his studio, and he took them down and played them as well as he played the 88H.

He also had a Beversdorf W-3 mouthpiece (small shank) that he said Beversdorf made for him. It was a ridiculously large mouthpiece, but it made a 6H sound a lot like an 8H (which apparently was the intent). He let me try it for a while, but it didn't do a thing with my 36B. The blank was nothing like a Bach shape. It more closely resembled Griego's Art Deco outer shape than anything else.

Return to “Mouthpieces”