Ferguson M series tenor mouthpieces

drbucher

Ferguson M series tenor mouthpieces

Post by drbucher »

Ferguson 2 is a modified Greg Black 5G with rounder Minick style rim and heavier outer shape, with more mass around the cup rather than below. Will not fit in common circular mouthpiece holder.
Used by Alex Iles, Long Beach Symphony.
Last edited by drbucher on Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LeTromboniste

Re: Ferguson M series tenor mouthpieces

Post by LeTromboniste »

The Ferguson 2 is a bit of an odd design. It's unusually deep and open for a mouthpiece in that size range. Personally, I couldn't make it work on tenor, it was just too deep a cup and too open a throat for me and gave me a dull sound with weird intonation on my 42 (although I'm sure it would work great for some people), took more air to get a decent sound, and I found it very tiring to play (more even than playing on a larger rim size than I usually did). But I later found that for me it was an absolutely fabulous mouthpiece to use on bass when I wanted a lighter and compact sound on repertoire that doesn't need the weight or low register of a normal big set-up, for example classical rep with alto, especially when 2nd stayed on large bore, repertoire written for three tenors, or light repertoire with only one trombone playing a bass part (Chopin piano concertos, for example).
It's deep and open enough to work in a bass and not sound mismatched to the horn (I suspect the extra weight probably also contributed to making it work).

For doublers who use something in the 6.5AL–5G range on tenor, this is something worth trying.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen

Return to “Mouthpieces”