Fat Tuesday quintet tunes

hyperbolica

Fat Tuesday quintet tunes

Post by hyperbolica »

Our quintet has booked a Fat Tuesday gig, and I'm looking for suggestions for charts we can put together in a couple of rehearsals. Saints/Hallelujah, Basin St blues, St. James Infirmary, Swing Low and maybe a couple more are already in the book. What else should we be looking at?
BGuttman

Re: Fat Tuesday quintet tunes

Post by BGuttman »

If you can hack the trombone part, "Just a Closer Walk". I think there is a simplified version in one of the Canadian Brass books.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hwlentz

Post by hwlentz »

I think Canadian Brass has a book of Dixieland tunes.
SGH

Post by SGH »

https://www.preshallfoundation.org/brassbandbook

You’d need to transcribe tenor sax to horn key
mjrochatbn74

Post by mjrochatbn74 »

Zack Smith email ([email protected]) has done numerous NOLa tunes and traditional jazz available for quintet at https://www.trumpetunes.com/publications.html He also has some lead sheets on Big Chief and Liza Jane if you have folks that can play off the page. His chart are by far the BEST. Great harmonies, some humor at times, more than reasonable pricing and easy to read. Most solos have something written out but with option to improvise. He is my go to for both brass quintet and he also has arranged for my brass band that is trumpet, tenor sax, trombone, baritone sax and tuba with drums.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

SGH wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:15 am https://www.preshallfoundation.org/brassbandbook

You’d need to transcribe tenor sax to horn key
That looks kind of simple, but I think its fine for what we need to do. Thanks!

hwlentz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:27 pm I think Canadian Brass has a book of Dixieland tunes.
Of course. I had forgotten about that stuff. Thanks. I think that will give us plenty to work with.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If your horn player is a "real" horn player, tell him/her the tenor sax parts are written for horn in Bb. Or just play with the "overdrive" (Bb) key.

I remember watching Wynton Marsalis on Sarah's Horn Hangouts. She handed him a horn and asked him to play. He was struggling on the F-side. Then she showed him the Bb key. And he was off to the races!
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

2nd Line
Bourbon St Parade
Smoke That fire
Palm court Strut
Iko Iko
Down By The Riverside
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Just to follow up, because I love it when questions get actual resolution, we wound up using some of the Preservation Hall stuff recommended above. The Canadian Brass tunes were too involved to put together enough music in 2 rehearsals. We got several tunes from Musescore, and these were useful with some minor editing. Not all the tunes are strictly Fat Tuesday. Here's the list:

When The Saints
Tiger Rag
Old Man River
Basin St Blues
South Rampart St Parade
Is You Is or Is You Aint My Baby
Just a Closer Walk With Thee
Aint Misbehavin
Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans
Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White
A Taste Of Honey
Amazing Grace
Swing Low Sweet Chariot
Kansas City
Swanee Stomp (Gershwin)
Down On The Corner
La Bamba
Don't Worry Be Happy

We'll probably have to cut a few, depending on how much talking goes on. Some definite non-dixie stuff in there, but it's all up beat (even Old Man River goes uptown for a while) and at least south-of-the-border feel. It's an upscale retirement home where most folks can walk in on their own.

Thanks to all who offered some help. That sent us in the right direction.

Return to “Performance”