Yamaha Bass Trombone slide question

jhousdan

Yamaha Bass Trombone slide question

Post by jhousdan »

I own a 613G. I've somehow developed a tiny spot of red rot on one of my outer slide tubes, which means eventually it will have to be patched or the tube replaced all together... both viable options and both easily done.

My creative "what if" brain got me to thinking though... I know the older Yamaha basses share a similar bore size (.562) with the current Xeno line, but what about the slide receivers? Could I, in theory, replace my old slide with a new Xeno one? I know there's a difference in the tubing in the valve sections (I asked about that here before), but I was uncertain if that extended to the slide receiver section or not.

I've played a few different 830s, but I never really thought to compare parts with my 613, and I'm lousy at keeping track of most measurements, so I thought I'd reach out to TCs intelligentsia and borrow from your collective wisdom.
-Jeremy

Yamaha YBL-613G Bass Trombone
Burgerbob

Re: Yamaha Bass Trombone slide question

Post by Burgerbob »

I think all the horns after the 613G have the same tenon. But I wouldn't be totally sure, either!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

jhousdan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:48 am I've somehow developed a tiny spot of red rot on one of my outer slide tubes, which means eventually it will have to be patched or the tube replaced all together... both viable options and both easily done.
And in this case "eventually" might outlast us all. Have it chem cleaned if you don't already (not ultrasonic!) and don't worry about it.
jhousdan

Post by jhousdan »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:50 am I think all the horns after the 613G have the same tenon. But I wouldn't be totally sure, either!
LOL you were the one I was hoping might have an answer, I know you've played with a lot of different Yammies (and basses in general)
-Jeremy

jhousdan

Post by jhousdan »

ithinknot wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:11 am
jhousdan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:48 am I've somehow developed a tiny spot of red rot on one of my outer slide tubes, which means eventually it will have to be patched or the tube replaced all together... both viable options and both easily done.
And in this case "eventually" might outlast us all. Have it chem cleaned if you don't already (not ultrasonic!) and don't worry about it.
She's definitely due!
-Jeremy

ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Sometimes (often?) red spots are misidentified as "red rot" (which itself is at best an ambiguous term). Prior to getting too excited about it and taking dramatic steps, it's good to determine what you're really dealing with. It may just be the red oxide of copper, and not the truly fearsome "red rot" that is a de-zincification phenomenon (leaching of zinc out of the brass alloy).

"What is 'Red Rot'?" : https://www.hornmatters.com/2011/05/what-is-red-rot/

A good cleaning is probably the best first step.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Worth checking out with a tech first if it really is, even then you’re right not to be too concerned at the moment,

If you have access to a Bach 50 (or 42) slide, there‘s a chance they would also fit a Yamaha. At some (not all!) points in time the Bach and Yamaha bass trombone slide fittings were compatible.

My 612RII connector was compatible with a 42/50 slide, though the Bach slide was very slightly too long for our A=442 tuning over here. My older Yamaha 321 was not compatible and it may have changed again with newer models/years.
jhousdan

Post by jhousdan »

MrHCinDE wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:41 am Worth checking out with a tech first if it really is, even then you’re right not to be too concerned at the moment,

If you have access to a Bach 50 (or 42) slide, there‘s a chance they would also fit a Yamaha. At some (not all!) points in time the Bach and Yamaha bass trombone slide fittings were compatible.

My 612RII connector was compatible with a 42/50 slide, though the Bach slide was very slightly too long for our A=442 tuning over here. My older Yamaha 321 was not compatible and it may have changed again with newer models/years.
It's definitely a problem for future-me and not current-me. It was more just a case of thinking out loud. And as I said, she's definitely due for a chemical cleaning, so that'll probably put it to bed.
-Jeremy

Return to “Instruments”