Mute suggestion

DrTbone43

Mute suggestion

Post by DrTbone43 »

Recently noticed my Stone Lined cup mute is too small for my Bach 36. Looking for a non metal cup mute for a replacement. This will be used primarily in a big band.
Thank you. Ron
Dennis

Re: Mute suggestion

Post by Dennis »

There aren't a lot of fiber cup mute options other than H&B. H&B used to make a small bass trombone cup that actually fit large throat bells pretty well, but their current web site doesn't mention this mute. Hickey's has a good illustration of the difference between the two mutes, and they might be able to get it (their item number is 023114). You could also try building up the corks on your current cup. They also list a Soulo adjustable fiber cup. The only other fiber cup that I know of is the Trum-Cor Classic. It's expensive ($120 or so) and not too durable.

If expensive (pushing $200) doesn't bother you and if your concept of "fiber" extends to a carbon fiber composite mute, Butler makes a combination straight/cup that looks interesting. The cork placement is adjustable via a velcro system.

Other options are to go to the UK and order, but the shipping is murderously expensive.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

The suolo is nice. I like mine.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Kdanielsen wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:59 pm The suolo is nice. I like mine.
It's a great mute but it doesn't sound like a cup mute.

To the first poster: what's wrong with a metal cup mute? I use a Denis Wick meta bass trombone mute exclusively. The cup is adjustable so it will fit a lot of different horns. If it is brighter than you want, put a handkerchief in it when you play and it will control the edgy sound. Haven't had any complaints yet from a conductor, or producer in the studio.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ssking2b wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:35 am
Kdanielsen wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:59 pm The suolo is nice. I like mine.
To the first poster: what's wrong with a metal cup mute? I use a Denis Wick metal , bass trombone mute exclusively. The cup is adjustable so it will fit a lot of different horns.
I agree - no one has ever complained about my DW bass trombone mute sound. Adjustability is great since bass trombone bell throat sizes vary.

I use an H&B fiber cup for tenor since it fits all my tenors, sounds fine, and requires no additional investment.

Return to “Accessories”